Fan mod 3.02?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ShadowDragon8685, Jun 12, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Okay, this may be stupid, but I can't find the 3.02 release of the fan modpack.

The Co8 links all point to the 2.00 release, and searching Yahoo, etcetera, for 3.02 comes up nada - so does searching this entire site for the string 3.02, which I've seen referenced in the Sticky thread regarding the official 2.0 patch. Help?

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

There's links on the atari forum and on this forum under the General Modding topic. You can get a copy at http://briefcase.yahoo.com/tbrister@sbcglobal.net. I'm adding a few minor changes this weekend, though, so if you can wait til Sunday nightor Monday afternoon, there'll be a 3.0.3 release.

3. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

I've seen those, but aren't they winRAR files? I don't have WinRAR, and I don't think my XP will do it right.

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

They are RAR files...you can get winRAR for free at http://www.rarlab.com.

Also, the same location now includes Circle of Eight patch 3.0.3 beta. I've made the changes, but haven't tested them. Included is the change log file listing the changes that were made for this release. If you can get it, and test any of these issues (and look for any new bugs I've introduced), that'd be great :)

5. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

I guess I can. :)

I was jus' gonna go through ToEE again with uber-hacked character and whatnot, just for giggles, but I guess I'll try and restrain my super-ness...

What WOULD be good would be if the fan community would fully fix the brothel in nulb - the lesbian options look like they weren't fully finished before Atari slammed down the Iron Curtain of Censorship... Damn commie *bleeptards*

And yes, I'm one of those sad-sacks who only runs all-female parties, just cause. :)

Errrr, HOW do I install this again? Or does it have a readme?

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

There's a changelog, but no readme.

Just open it with WinRAR, select "Extract To", and then select your Temple of Elemental Evil" Directory (typically c:\program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil). Answer yes if it asks about overwriting files (unless you want to make backups of those files first, but I left the 3.0.2 release posted in case anyone had trouble).

Also, don't worry about specifically testing anything if you don't want to, go ahead and uber-play :) Just let me know fi any issues pop up...the editors we're using seems to be prone to corrupting certain files, so sometimes bugs creep in unexpectedly. Most of the original modders are running inot time issues, so I've sort of taken the torch for collating fixes and compiling new releases. I, too, though, have time crunches, and don't have enough time for good testing.

I figure I'll release a beta version, wait for feedback, and if it works okay, I'll mark it as release, delete the old release, then start oin the next iteration :)

7. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Well, I'm going to restrain my uber-ness to just characters with 5 18s and 1 30 for stats... Y'know, I don't like being killed by giant frogs... Though I have proven I can beat the tar out of them in any event, by using good tactics (which I DO use, I'm not a COMPLETE munchkin...)

Errr, sorry. Touchy on that subject, long story. In any event, it cheeses me off that my monk becomes 100% utterly useless in the later stages of the game, because 1d10 with no magical bonuses or anything, simply is not doing any damage to those creatures with DR. Which is why I'm planning to make a Monk with 30 STR, so she can simply overpower the balor's defenses with sheer Godlike strength. :)

A bigger hammer...

Sorry, I'm off on a tangent. In any event, if I run into anything, I'll report it. Since I'm big on mucking about in the crafting stuff, as well as using unusual weapons, I'll let you know...

Oh, one thing I do remember from my first game - I had a character take proficiency with Shuriken - and she started with precisely ONE Shuriken. Nobody else sells them. USELESS. I think a character starting with the EWP for Shuriken needs to get at least 100 of the worthless things, and all the shops should sell them... Given the ridiciliously low damage they do and the fact they can't be enchanted... Same goes for Javelins and Darts.

8. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

In fact, I've found a reproducable bug. Gack!

The game crashes to desktop whenever I tell it I want to start adventuring. Since all of these characters are generated in the game, I can only assume it dosen't like handling characters with stats so high - all of my characters had a 36 on one stat... GRRRR...

I'm going to get the character editor and hack them all down to a 30, see if that helps. This is QUITE vexxing!

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Yep, that's a heck of a bug.

Okay, patch 3.0.3 is NOT useable currently.

I'll work on it tommorrow, try to fix it. I think it's file corruption, ProtoEd seems to be very tempermental.

In fact, I think I know the problem file.

Anyway, I'll work on it tommorrow and have it reposted tommorrow night.

10. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Actually, I'm pretty certain this is *not* a result of 3.0.3. I had this problem with my last install of ToEE, back on Atari Patch 1 and Co8 2.00.

I just wish I knew what the heck to do to FIX the bloody thing! Arrgh!

11. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Member

Disregard what all I just said: I just tested it with my 36 stat characters, then A (single) 36 stat character, then a 26, and then a straight 18s, which is certainly somthing the editor will allow (with some creative working.)

Yep. 3.0.3 has got to be the problem. Ouch!

12. gandalf333

gandalf333 Member

To everyone who posts downloads a small favor and request.

Until an .exe installer is ready to go, please, please, post the mod packs in .zip format. Thanks to everyone who posted 3.0.1 in zip, I personally appreciate it.

Keep up the good work!

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Member

Okay, the problem with 3.0.3 beta was a coprrupted spell_enum.mes file. I'm also fioguring out what is causing file dorruption with ProtoEd, so hopefully instances of this will be lessened and/or eliminated in the future.

The corrected file has been uploaded, and the bad one deleted.

As to zip files, I'll post one Monday from work. Uploading a file is a 15 to 30 minute process here (dial-up), so I try to avoid it unless I have to. I'll packe it as a zip (or maybe a self extracting file, I dunno) and upload it no later than Monday.

As to the bug, it's completely my fault. I was in a rush, figured I'd just hurry up and code in changes and see how it worked. I made sure the game would start, but never loaded any saves or started any new games. I'll test a bit farther in the future..should have waited until today to upload. If anyone finds any other issues, let me know ASAP (my email is in the download link), and I'll do my best to get it fixed.

14. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I recommend rar format, rar is far superior to zip, even the new zip. AND rar, while only shareware, never expires... it will tell you, You are 5 years past your 30 day trial period, please uninstall... and leave it at that...

15. gandalf333

gandalf333 Member

I recommend ZIP over RAR since ZIP is more widely accepted and used that's its easier to unzip than it is to unrar. And your compression in RAR can't be that much that it makes a difference with largely text files anyway, they can be compressed only so much. So my appreciation to everyone who posts in ZIP, you'll be making a larger number of us very happy. zip zip zip

Our Host!