Bringing in new PC's once game is started

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Graphil, Nov 9, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Graphil

Graphil Member

Is there a way to replace one of your own PC's with another one that you have create once the game has started? I've decided I don't like my Dwarf fighter and want something different. Thx

2. shane@boskage.com

shane@boskage.com Member

I am a newb. But I thought I saw something in one of the threads that said to go to the inn and look at the guestbook. The guestbook is near the guy that gives you the rooms.

3. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

Yeah. If you hover your cursor over the desk, you should see a blue outline. Click on that, and it'll let you add PCs to the party. Not sure if there's a way to make them the equivalent level of the party, though.

4. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Use the console to add XP, or just wait a while. They'll gain more XP for almost every encounter until they're close to the same level as your original characters.

5. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

use the console code game.party[X].award_experience(#####) and hit enter

X= party member number and #= how ever much xp you want to give them.
    party numbers are always -1 ie player 1 is considered #0 and so forth.

6. mrbunnyban

mrbunnyban Member

Don't forget to pass all the items the old PC was carrying to the other party members!

7. Graphil

Graphil Member

Thanks everyone for their response. I'd totally missed the book at the inn.

8. ErikModi

ErikModi Member

I was more thinking a way of generating the PC as X level, rather then generating him at 1st level and cheating.

Though there's nothing wrong with cheating.

9. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

You can add a custom PC with the book and then use the console to give him the XP you want, or you can add him with the book and just adventure while he LUs. There is no other way to add a custom PC unless you're good enough with the mod tools to build him and add him to the world somewhere. "Cheating" has nothing to do with it.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The registry book in the Welcome Wench has been a ctd causer for me more than once. Save before using it.

You have been warned.

11. Astaroth

Astaroth Member

You really don't have to worry about starting a new 1st level character; they gain a lot more experience, than the rest of the party.

In a party of 5 at fifth level, I got sick of my female dwarf continuously dying, so I ex'd her out, and brought in a new human fighter, by the time the party reached 8th level she was at an equal level with about 800 more experience points than the rest of the party.

Just let the new character stay in the back warming her hands, gaining experience from watching the battle rather than fighting, and she'll be up to par in no time.

12. webusver

webusver Established Member

BTW this is the way to earn more experience (which is needed for crafting items). Wel a person reaches (for example) 4th level, don't level up him but continue use him as 3d level person. He will get more xp. When there will be time to levelup to level 5 you'll have to levelup him to 4, because if you don't do this, he will stop to gain xp at all.
    So that means that you should always walk with heroes who are 1 level lower than they should. This may be a little more challenging than always, but at any time you are able to levelup to corresponding xp level.
    So now I'm using a compromise. My spellcasters who can craft items upgade by this scheme. But common fighters levelup as usual. Thus spellcasters receive significantly more experience and I use this "extra" ammount to craft items. This allows to keep all persons at equal xp-amount.

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I love it! A worthy successor to All your base are belong to us. Or maybe Co8 could adopt it as our official 'statement.' :mrhappy:

(Well at least somebody should use it as their sig or something.)

Regardless, it has that ring of deep meaning born of storied wisdom.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2006
  14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

If, by that, you mean it sounds "alien", I couldn't agree more. Makes me pine for the days of 0rion79...

:anger: :punch: :zap: :chairshot: :xeyes:

:cool:

15. webusver

webusver Established Member

I be glad you be understand!

Our Host!