Keep Wizard? Spoilers

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by sonofliberty, Oct 17, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

The priest wants me to steal a book from the keep wizard. I have been in almost every building looking. Obviously looking in the keep is difficult, though I tried when I went for the masterwork weapon. I have looked in the buildings during day and at night. Also, I can't find the jeweler, though I at least found his office.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

His lab is indeed in the Inner Bailey - at the top of a tower, as per the norm for such things - and is quite unlike any other roomin the Keep: you'll know it when you see it. Try assembling a Guardsman's uniform and using Disguise to get in.

3. sonofliberty

That's funny. I just sold some guards studded leather and chainmail.

4. sonofliberty

I re-bought the studded leather. How do you use the disguise self skill? Is it a conversational skill or something?

5. Shiningted

If you're wearing Guards' gear you will automatically be checked out by anyone in the Guard (akin to them checking for having weapons drawn). If you have a full uniform and a decent disguise skill you will pass, otherwise you will be challenged (and may have to bluff you way through. Or explain yourself). This can be specifically triggered when you go to one of the towers or the Inner Gatehouse, where you get challenged either way. Generally speaking though its all behind-the-scenes, there are no specific dialogue options.

6. Gruber

Gruber Member

I really love this idea of using disguise and assembling the uniform, especially that it is not stated formally as and option, but one has to think of this idea by himself. Great!

I have not used it yet, but one question: do all party members must have suits or just one is enough? Should it be party leader or anyone?

7. Shiningted

It should be the guy talking, yes. There is an in-game list of the full uniform requirements but otherwise it's common sense - what you see other guards wearing.

8. Gruber

Gruber Member

Great! Well done!

9. daveyd

daveyd Member

Can anyone tell me exactly what I need for the guard's uniform to use disguise? I haven't seen the in-game list that ShiningTed was talking about.

I know how to get blue capes from one of the trader's wives (which I assume is what I need) and studded leather or chainmail of course, but that doesn't seem to be enough to pass for guard in the tower. Do I need specific kind of gloves / boots? helmet?

10. Shiningted

Yeah you need a full and consistent uniform, so:

- cape
    - matching sheild
    - matching armour
    - consistent footwear and gauntlets (they can be any old chain or plate ones but you can't wear, say, the blue ones that go with the blue studded leather with anything else)
    - sidearm. Note that if you have a magic sword you should be able to Bluff past this - "I ditched it for this magic one". My understanding of the military is that many soldiers upgrade their gear from the standard issue to better stuff they can buy.

Yup. Otherwise, there is stuff lying around to be stolen in various places within the military areas, and I think some suits and pieces of this and that in places like the Minotaur's cave, and I dare say that rat-faced guy has a rusty sidearm you could get polished. I think maybe the Thieves' Guild sell something too? I forget - but it's basically meant to be a treasure hunt that you complete later in the game when breaking into the Inner Keep for this and that may be of value. Or, if you can find another way in, such as through a quest (Thieves' Guild again...) or when dealing with Billy, well, loot the place :) But I think technically you can find stuff out in the world, that was always the point becausre assembling a full disguise should allow you to sneak in to the Inner Keep etc - having to go into it to get the disguise defeats the purpose, but if you are in there anyway for some reason it makes it much easier. :)

In game, the complete uniform is detailed in one of the Corporal of the Watch's missives, he has the tower next to the main gate.

daveyd likes this.
  11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Generally only non-weapons. There are Law of Armed Conflict implications with soldiers running around with any old weapon. Special Forces (of course) get around those rules.

Our Host!