You Guys Are Incredible - Praise and Questions from a new Fan

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Tathum, Sep 6, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Tathum

Tathum Member

First off, let me start by saying the work you have done on the Temple Mod-packs has, far and away, been some of the most enjoyable and well done gaming experiences I've had in a long while.

I bought this game years ago and loved the it despite not having played any D&D since 2nd edition. Was able to cope with the numerous bugs and limitations and still managed to beat it with a smile and even played it a couple of times since for "old times' sake."

With having found and devoured the web-comic, "Order of the Stick," I had an old inkling to pick up the game again and blaze through it one weekend. In my efforts to patch up the game, I stumbled upon this site and your work and it opened up an entirely new level of genius that I had to commend and applaud. Thank you guys, so much.

My angst at the level cap are gone, the problems with sketchy gameplay and some quests that didn't really make much sense are gone, that sense of danger and mayhem are back in full force. Bravo.

Now that the praise portion of this thread is established, I had to ask a few quick questions.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1) Are you guys getting paid for this? Can we make donations somewhere?

2) What level can I expect a group of 5 PC's to reach playing a typical 6.1.0 NC game? I'm currently on the 2nd level of the temple with the moathouse reclear and arena of heroes accomplished and we're all level 9. Haven't been to Verbobonc yet and the rest of the temple and nodes await.

3) How about a single player? I generally keep NPC involvement to a bare minimum (Elmo's help to clear Emridy Meadows at level 3 with my 5-PC Chaotic Good group and grabbing random NPC's to murder in the wilderness with my Chaotic Evil solo).

4) I haven't played the questline for it yet, but I noted that there are slavers to be found in-game. Will any future expansions include any content from "Scourge of the Slavelords" and possibly "Against the Spider Queen"? I always assumed Troika wanted to move the game in that direction, but never had the chance.

Anyway, I'm off to browse your boards a bit more. Once again, thank you guys for your time and effort, brilliant work all around.

This play through I have discovered the joys of a sneaking Rogue scouting ahead so the rest of the party can prepare for what's around the corner and that murdering Calmert incurs a 100 gold piece increase to the charge of healing from Terjon (who knew!?!).

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Hi Tathum,

As a minor modder, we thank you for your praise. I believe everyone that contributes to the mods works to read posts like yours, and to put our imagination into a game. Thanks.

1. No we don't get paid. We don't sell the mods. We don't want to make money. It would be copyright infringement if we profited in anyway. You can however click the 'donate' button at the top to help cover website/forum costs, but nothing goes into our pockets.

2. For 6.1 I would say a party of 5 could probably reach level 15+ easily. There is a lot of content in Verb, and you have a lot of temple content to go. I would head to Verb sooner than later or else some of that content might become a little too easy. Did you complete Hickory Branch yet?

3. Single character games can easily have you at level 20, probably even with 2 characters. I tried to do it a couple times with a cleric and it is very tough the first few levels since you are generally outnumbered and your opponents get multiple attacks compared to your single attack.

4. I do not believe that the slavers will lead to either of those two modules. They are more of a distinct quest that comes from Verb.

3. Tathum

Tathum Member

1) Well, that is a royal bummer. Understandable, but sucky nonetheless.

2) That's good to know, always nice to have a frame of reference of what you can expect in the endgame. Also makes spending XP for crafting a bit easier.

3) I'm doing it with a Half-Orc Fighter. Once I was able to cleave with my glaive, fighting large groups became much simpler. The only difficulty I've come up against is getting heals. It basically means having to curb my homicidal tendencies and allow Terjon to live.

The sanctimonious, son of a ...

4) As much as I loved the Slavelord campaign that came after Temple in the series of modules, what you guys keep coming up with will surely be just as genius.

Thank you for answering my queries and good luck out there!

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks, Tathum. :thumbsup:

5. Tathum

Tathum Member

Hey, I know brilliance when I see it...

And I'm big on letting people know when they "done good." Can't wait for 7.0 NC. I'll be ready with a Lawful Good party and a Lawful Evil Cleric to solo with.

6. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

If you go with a solo cleric run, consider the war domain because they get bonuses with the weapon of their god which helps even the odds a little. My favorite was dual wielding two of the light maces that Terjon uses. I was unstoppable with those things, enlarged, and calling down flamestrike on my foes.

Not sure if any war god uses light maces, I might have spent a feat getting it though.

7. random1

random1 Member

I can't say much more... except +1 here :)

I was curious so I went to moddb to check the download numbers.
    It's interesting to see that Circle of Eight Modpack 6.1.0 NC is the one with the most downloads. With time games tend to lose steam, which is natural as it stops offering new things to explore and to do, but not this one!
    I think Modpack 6.1.0 NC is the one with the biggest download count! Very close to 12,000!!!

And with the WotGS being added to v7 of the modpack, this number will be surpassed for sure! :yes:

Thank you guys! [​IMG]

Our Host!