Yet more questions. (SPOILERS CONTAINED)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Dragon_Awakened, Apr 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Dragon_Awakened

Dragon_Awakened Wandering Warrior

I'm thinking on the "Save a Life" mode here. In the quest where you catch the teamster's son poisoning Black Jay's sheep he will not reveal who is making him do it. Later Corl is found stabbed to death with a poisoned knife. I know Rannos and Gremag are involved because after I killed them I ended up with the 'Swift Purveyor of Justice' reputation. I attacked them. There are two things with this situation I would like help with. The first is a simple yes or no answer. Could using a spell such as charm person or suggestion get the information from Corl so that I might save his life. The second is perhaps not so simple. How do I provoke Rannos and Gremag into attacking me rather than initiating the attack myself? It is my understanding that if I let one or both escape after a fight that they, or at least the survivor of the two shows up later in Nulb with a party of evil adventurers (henchmen) behind them looking for payback. I want this encounter because I've never seen it before and wish to test my luck.
    I understand I'm asking for a major revelation (at least on the second part). If you do not wish to answer this here and you are willing to help could you please PM me. I'm not asking for a walk through only directions into the situation.
    Thanks for your time.

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

They answer is no to both questions.

Corl, as far as the game files are concerned, does not know who made him poison the sheep.

Rannos and Gremag are not idiots. The odds are against them in Hommlet, so they will not attack you there. They wait for more favorable circumstances. And the option of them attacking you in Hommlet is not in the game files.

3. Dragon_Awakened

Part 2

Then what if you don't mind my asking are the favorable circumstances that Rannos and Gremag are looking for. I'm using 7 characters all currantly at 4th level. I have intercepted their courier, killed the assassin (I sold them everything but his rapier), caught the spy doing the sabotage, and then openly confronted them. They paid me 200gp (use of the intimidation feat) even after I already let rufus and burne in on their operation. Short of fighting them and opting for non-lethal damage I'm at wits end. Too bad about Corl I was hoping to save a life. I would say I've become a major pike-length thorn in their sides. I know they are not stupid enough to attack me in hommlet but it seems I will have a better chance of getting St. Cuthbert to get good and rip roaring drunk with my party than drawing these two and their friends into a confrontation.

4. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

The more favorable circumstances are when they show up in Nulb. But that will only happen if you attack them in Hommlet and let one or both of them get away. But you have to attack them. There is no other way.

5. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Be prepared for the encounter with Rannos and Gremag afterward. Just as you have time to prepare, so do they. If you are not so wise, you will pay. Trust me on this one. It is memorable for the first time initiate.

6. Dragon_Awakened

The times I've fought them....

They have never tried to escape, begged for their lives, etc. They always fought to the death. Does this mean I should use the non-lethal damage option and just leave them unconsious on the shop floor? Sorry to beat a dead horse but I'm just looking for the best option.

7. Blair

Blair Unwanted Construct

If you have the current patches installed correctly, about the time one takes major damage both will attempt to disengage by drinking invisibility potions and booking it for the door. If not stopped they "vanish" only to reappear later looking for payback.

--Blair
    "You idiots! I said ACROSS her nose, not UP it!"

8. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

What payback it is........ My first encounter, totally blind, was a disaster. Not good.

Our Host!