wrong radial menu + balor fear unresistable?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Seree, Aug 24, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Seree

Seree Member

hey all,

i am currently fighting the balor (already 2 hours now) a i must admit iam pretty pisst..
    my weapons are nearly all only +3 flaming because my sorc did not have the sufficient spells learned to create other special abilties apart from mighty cleave.
    so i effectively only have my ranger who does some average dmg of 1x

i have a rough tactic now how to take him down, i already did once.. but with half my party down... but still there are some things which really turn me nuts.

first.. i saw him casting fear 2 times.. and it seems noone can resists it?!
    even if they make a succesfull rolle against fear... they are still scared!
    they might not run away but still they get a -2 penalty on attack rolls.. isnt this a bug?

remove fear doesnt work. they are still "feared".. and the spell destription says in the last sentence that its supposed to dispell fear... but it doesnt.

ok so you got half you your party catching the "run-away-fear". if the last character of the round is "running-away-feared", it quite often happens that you get the radial menu of the first character of next the round.
    that wouldnt be too bad if you are going to attack with physical weapons.. but it is a serious problem if you actually want to launch a spell but the radial menu of the "wrong chracter" does not have this menu part!.

sere

2. PharaunMizzrym

PharaunMizzrym Member

Your problems are common. Not much to do about it. Maybe buying a Holy Mace +1 from Calmert will help you a little.

3. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Can't help with the wrong radial menu thing. Never happened to me, is all I can say.

As for the fear, if it really is the spell "fear" (which Balor's don't normally have, but whatever; I'll assume this is replacing things like Blasphemy, which would be much worse), then if you save you do not have to flee mindlessly, but you are still "shaken", which is a -2 on attack rolls. This is only supposed to last one round, though, but it won't be countered by remove fear. Only the running thing will be countered by remove fear.

http://d20srd.org/srd/spells/fear.htm

4. Borsook

Borsook Established Member

BTW what is this mace? I never bought it but it costs 28000!

5. PharaunMizzrym

PharaunMizzrym Member

Just a magic mace that deals extra 2d6 damage against evil creatures. It's possible to craft it yourself with a cleric with Good domain. And demons have incredible DR unless you hit them with Holy of Cold damage.

6. KillerSonic

KillerSonic Established Member

when you have a paladin with the arura of courage the fear won't affect you(a lot easier to kill him)

7. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

That'll give you a bonus to your save against the fear effect, but this will only save you from fleeing uncontrollably. You'll still be shaken for one round after making the save (though the paladin himself may be immune to that; depends on your interpretation of the rules, I guess).

8. KillerSonic

KillerSonic Established Member

meeting a big demon like Balor is scary so what's the problem, can't take a challenge?

9. Seree

Seree Member

actually you are feared for 10 rounds not just 1. Regardless of the result of your saving throw.

i made it soon after i created the thread.

my friends were:
    Summoning spells(spell catchers),
    magic missile,
    Death ward (just for the 2 melees, against his death spells),
    Radiant longsword +3(my only dmg dealing weapon here :/),
    invisibility sphere +sneak attack (the uber combo.. expect for undead),
    spiritual hammer. Sadly he tends to ignore after a few round when he figured that they are aneffected by his spells/melee attacks.
    Stoneskin
    Bless, Prayer,

effectively i killed him with only 4 (ranger, rogue, sorc, cleric(only for buffs)) ppl of my 7 ppl group :/

seree

Last edited: Aug 25, 2005
  10. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

If I'm reading right this has nothing to do with challenge KS, it has to do with a possible bug(?). Balors fear is unresistable, when it should be resistable. For adventurers used to fighting against crazy odds, seeing a balor I doubt would cause instant fear (it's not a dragon after all)

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

According to the D&D3.5 reference, the Balor should be as follows.

Livonya added the fear effect (it has a DC of 25)

In 3.0 anyone the balor hits has to pass a fear DC of 19 or run for 1d6 rounds.

12. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

Try drinking potions of super-heroism, made my dwarf with that Axiomatic Holy Hammer you find (forgot the name) immune to the fear. Also, you find a Frostband somewhere in the game, so if you can't craft, find it, and USE it...it works. And finally, buy Excalibur. That works even better (as long as your not evil).

13. [GSF]BANG

[GSF]BANG Member

Buy Excalibur?

14. offtheboat

offtheboat Member

It's from a mod that I don't remember off-hand. You can purchase that blade from a list of several other magical items you'll receive after helping the woodcutter with his daughter.

15. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It's part of Liv's Mod. It is a +5 holy longsword, amongst other things. It's one of the items you can purchase as a reward for completing the Cure Ami quest.

Our Host!