Would like to add lizardfolk----------- NPC

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gwythur, Sep 28, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gwythur

Gwythur Member

Hey all. In my current gaming group, I'm playing a lizardfolk druid. Let's just say that a spelltosser with decent HD, built in natural armor, and three natural attacks makes him a ton of fun, and quite effective, even being 4 class levels behind the rest of the party (3 monster HD, +1 effective character level).

Anyhow, it occured to me that with all the lizardfolk in random encounters, adding a lizardman NPC shouldn't be all that tough. Of course, with my total lack of modding experience, I rapidly found myself in over my head.

So I guess it's time for me to de-lurk and ask you kind folks of the modding community for help. So, um...would anyone be willing to offer some help, please? :help:

I have the basics down. I can add a new line to protos.tab to create the creature. The pictures are already in-game for the monster. But I can't seem to get one into my party as an NPC. I can make a PC lizardfolk with some serious hacking at character creation, but that's not quite what I had in mind. Finally, I assume that it's a limit of the current graphics that weapons and armor just don't look right on the paper doll in-game.

Any feedback would be appreciated, even if it's just to tell me that I'm an idiot for even trying to do this. :shy:

Thanks a ton!

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Once you've created the NPC is protos, you need to make a san_dialog script to iniatie dialog, and a dialog file with a line that executes {pc.follower_add(npc)}. If you don't know how to do this, find a post by ShiningTed and click on the link to his blog in the signature line. He has some excellent dialog and script tutorials there.

If you want to use a shortcut and recruit one of the existing lizardfolk in the game, use the suggestion + raise bug. Cast suggestion on one of them (I like to do it when they have negative hp or are unconcious) then kill them, then cast raise dead or resurection on them. They will now be a permanent member of your party. I know bugbears can gain levels in classes, but I've never tried it with lizardfolk. Also, while I've never had a problem dealing with merchants with a bugbear in my party, I don't know if the same will be true with lizardfolk.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I don't see why it can't be done, copy & paste the lizardman's proto row into a new line, change the number of the line (first column in protoED) to a new number, highlight the row and go across to san_dialogue [find an existing NPC's script file (scr folder), one with san dialogue (start dialogue at line #) save as.... a new number] enter the new script number into san_dialogue, find an existing NPC's dialogue file (dlg folder) copy, rename (use the same number as the script you just made) find the bit that says "do you want to join me?" note the number of the line, put the line number in the script, save all your stuff, start the game and use the console command to make an NPC appear, to spawn him.

There's a more elegent way of spawning NPC's but that's another story!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2005
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Shhh, don't tell him that story! :p

Also, look for a thread by WizGeorge asking how to incorporte NPCs as followers, might be useful.

I think its a good idea, Lizardmen are theoretically nuetral (though they are baddies in ToEE the game and KotB the module).

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

because of how the models work in ToEE, and you'd know from making your PC lizman - they can't wear armour that show up on the model in game. never tryed robes or cloaks tho nut there just isn't the stuff for anything not human shaped. am I just babbling?

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I always thought that lizardmen made the best non-human troops...except you have to stop them from feasting upon the fallen by maintaining strict discipline with twice as many sergeants & leader types in your force.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Spike, setting gators on passers-by does not make you a commander of Lizardman troops ;)

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Wild, wacky stuff . . .

In true Oprah fashion, I'd now like to present to you the long-ago victim of the sordid lizard man's attack. That's right, young Christopher Davis is in fact . . . our own Lord_Spike! <GASP!> :aaaa:

Our Host!