Won't Start!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lord Plothos, Apr 26, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Hey all,
    I know this problem has been mentioned before, but nobody posted a useful reply. When I try to start ToEE, a window pops up and says to insert the play disc. Now, since I got there by inserting said disc and starting with autorun, this can't be a recognition problem with my drive or the disc. Has anybody else had, or better yet solved, this problem? Ideas? Or do I just reinstall the whole damn and reapply the patch?
    Thanks for any help

2. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

I've seen this problem come up here really recently, but I don't know of a sure-fire solution.

It's very possible that you're getting a read error on your drive. If you're running Windows XP, check the event viewer ("Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer"). Check anything that looks like an error that would have occured around the time you tried to play the game.

If you are getting a read error, then try cleaning the disk and the lens on your CD drive (carefuly! use pressurized air if you have it).

If that doesn't work, then I think you have a bad CD. Your best bet is to send it back for a replacement.

Is your CD drive a really fast one? I've had this problem trying to play some older games on my newer computer. They get persistent disk read errors. From searching with google endlessly, I was able to glean that some CD productions (and DVD productions) are done really cheaply, and that you would tend to notice these defects more frequently on a faster CD drive.

In my case it was the BG2 CD's that were giving me problems, and these were produced by Future Media / CA (I did find an unsusbtantiated report about problems with CD produced by this company).

If you have access to a slow external USB CD player, try using that and see what happens. This would be one way of confirming the drive speed issue. You would still need to request a new CD, but at least you'd have some idea of what the problem is (unfortunately, this means that another CD might have the same problem).

3. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Hmmm

Thanks for the info. That makes sense, I guess. I've had problems with everything from BGII to DVDs with this drive, which is pretty fast, but usually restarting the computer solves the problem. This time it just came out of nowhere (after weeks of playing ToEE) and happens every time. Weird. Maybe some invisible scratch is screwing things up. Who knows?
    Anyway, thanks a bunch.

4. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

FWIW, right after posting here I had this problem with my NWN CD (I haven't played it in a while). In this case it helped just to clean the CD. Sometimes windex and a paper towel works pretty well for this.

5. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

i had the same problem, i found an easy fix, its a no CD crack... and the best part that its completely legal if you bought the CD... actually thats what the creators of the cracks CLAIM they are made for, not for stealing it, but for helping people with such problems or for people who dont wanna swap CDs unnecessarily

Our Host!