Windows 8.1 mouse lag problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by florian1, Nov 28, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I recently installed ToEE again, to try out v8.1.0 and KotB. After the usual problems installing on a windows system, I am left with only one, which is the mouse lag problem. I noticed it whenever I used an external monitor, but thought nothing of it as it was just to watch videos on the TV, and some lag in the mouse was pretty irrelevant. However, in a game, it is extremely annoying, and is happening with the built in monitor.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this for ToEE? It is the only game I own which has this problem.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Try enabling and disabling scroll acceleration in the games options, (under the Preferences Tab) this cleared up mouse lag for me.

3. florian1

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it did not make any difference. I notice it the most when creating characters and leveling up. It has been a while since I played, so perhaps it was always like this, and I have simply forgotten. I in fact wrote the post when I was still in character creation mode, and thought if this is what it would be like I would not bother playing. However, once under way, it does not seem a big problem.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Mouse lag has mostly been a thing of the past (for reasons I'm unclear on), so I suspect that incidences of it in modern times are more likely due to specific mice and/or drivers (or lack thereof).

One thing you could try is to play in Windowed mode, which makes the Windows mouse active. (You can play quasi-fullscreen by selecting your monitor's native resolution and windowed mode together, which will make the window fill up the screen.) The only downside is you lose context mice - no wands when casting spells, bows when firing ranged, etc., just the Windows arrow.

5. florian1

Mouse works perfectly in Windows mode. Thanks!

The other downside of Windows mode is that I cannot move the view by holding the mouse near the screen edges. The arrow keys are more controlled, but a fella likes to be lazy.

6. florian1

Additional bonus to Window mode is that I can now disable the opening video without the game freeing or crashing.

Our Host!