Why KotB?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BestServedCold, Dec 17, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. BestServedCold

BestServedCold Member

I'm not knocking "Keep On The Borderlands" because I barely remember it. I think I only played it once and I never owned it so I didn't DM it or get very familiar with it.

I also recognize that a lot of people have sentimental value for it because it was the first DnD module many people ever played.

It just seems to me that a logical mod might be a continuation point of ToEE, something to do afterwards. Something with levels from 6-14 or so. Ghost Tower of Inverness, Against the Giants, Slaver series... etc, etc.

I think I know the answer and that's that those would all be so ambitious if not impossible without the source code you guys lack.

Just curious.

2. smg225

smg225 Gyro Captain

I know other people (like, the ones who made the decision :) ) will have more to add, but I remember that in addition to the reasons you surmise one of the key attractions of kotb is that most of the monsters in it were already in toee, so there wouldn't be too much of the kind of work creating fire giants etc would entail.

It also seems a good fit with ShingingTed's writing style, since it affords him so much plotting leeway and a certain kind of serious whimsy which seems to be his trademark. Though maybe he could transform even the Slavers series in that way, I don't know. Ted's got chops, is all I'm saying. :rock:

3. BestServedCold

BestServedCold Member

So how long have they been working on it and what's the ETA?

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

IIRC, Ted started the KotB project shortly after I started making the Verbobonc mod, so that makes the project about a year and a half old already (?) and a demo version release is almost ready for release.

Personally I've never played the KotB module in P&P, I've read most of it, but the roleplaying details are mostly upto the DM (Ted). From what I've seen of Ted's KotB, I'm very impressed with what has been accomplished. I for one can't wait to start playing KotB.

As for other modules, we may start making more modules to be played after KotB has been completed, Against the Giants and Queen of the Spiders series are the most requested modules currently, but the small team of modders we have will have to grow considerably to produce these modules in any reasonale timeframe. That said, never underestimate the determination of avid fans of this game engine. ;)

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hopefully the demo will be ready for testing by the new year: I might be a little optimistic, but things are genuinely accelerating (me being currently unemployed sure helps) and the huge amount of work already put in is finally letting us see a bit of a light at the end of the tunnel.

The reason for KotB was two-fold:

- its a module most people know, so every-one could help

- its a module that as smg pointed out has monsters already in ToEE, which is important since at the time of starting (and still, I might add) we can't edit current models (we couldn't make Dryders, for instance).

Hopefully it will lead to GDQ etc but again, at the time of starting KotB many of the issues related to higher levels PCs subsequently fixed by Spellslinger et al meant a higher level module was not really an option at that time. Likewise the higher level spells now available were only coming on the scene back then.

6. Gulshog

Gulshog Member

Why? 1 word....kobolds!

Our Host!