Where did Front End go?

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by mcgrobert, Oct 14, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. mcgrobert

mcgrobert Member

I searched for a thread on this issue but I couldn't find anything that seemed relevant. So, I apologize if I didn't dig deep enough and this ends up being a repost.

After a recent computer wipe, I'm now attempting to replay ToEE but can't seem to get past the installation process. I'm working with the GoG version and that installs fine. I can install the Co8 Modpack 8 with seemingly no issues until I attempt to launch Front End. At which point I get this.
    Untitled.png

Norton Antivirus quarantined the Co8 install the first time I downloaded it. So after the first time I get this message I did a full uninstall, deleted the install file, fully disabled Norton and redownloaded and reinstalled as specified and the error message still comes up and Front End is nowhere to be found.

NET Framework is version 4.5.
    Directx is version 11.
    AMD Radeon HD 6570 and the drivers are up to date.

2. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

The new frontend requires java7. Try installing that and let us know :thumbsup:

3. mcgrobert

mcgrobert Member

Thank you for the prompt reply.
    No, I reinstalled Java and it's giving the same message.
    Let me know if there's any other relevant information I could give.

4. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I have heard you have to un-install your old java 1st, as the new version does not do it automatically. Then install java version 7. Also try installing the latest front end from this thread here, ver 4.6 http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10373

5. mcgrobert

mcgrobert Member

I appreciate all your help. Sorry I've been silent for a number of days. (Stuff happening and all)
    Alright, Front End is up and running but now I'm running into a new issue. (BTW the new build and layout looks great)
    The Modpack isn't showing up despite being installed in the proper directory. It's been awhile so I may be forgetting something but if I'm correct it should be available to activate in Front End upon launching after installation.

6. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

That shouldn't be happening mcgrobert, it seems your anti-virus is at fault-here (superb interference - just my assumption). Anyway, I believe "Circle of Eight Modpack 8.0.0 New Content.tfm" is currently quarantined due to false positives. As ToEE.exe is always detected as Trojan by such anti-virus. ToEE.exe is inside that .tfm file, and that .tfm file is the main module of co8 modpack. That's why the module is missing in Front-End, or ToEE.exe has been kidnapped again by your crappy av ;). Your first step should be like this; exclude the whole co8 modpack installer from your anti-virus scanner, then proceed again for a new install. Hope this helps. Second step is uninstall the av, even if you fully-disabled it will come again for the file, integrated protection against viruses, hackers etc. Third step is download a new av, I cannot recommend any [forum rules sorry].

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hey Zoltec, you can in fact recommend a good AV, you just can't post a link to one that would give you kick backs and such.

Your personal opinion on a program that might help someone is just that, your opinion ... and many of us find your opinion valuable.

8. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Thanks Sirchet what a privelege! Anyways, I'm using the latest ESET Antivirus and I recommend it that's it (All I can say is; Its a reliable AV, easy to customize and very user-friendly). Hope this helps. :)

9. mcgrobert

mcgrobert Member

Alright, so I did a full Co8 and ToEE uninstall. Then uninstalled my anti-virus along with clearing it's static settings. I then redownloaded Co8 v8 and did a full re-install. The same issue presists :(

I swear I'm not incompetent when it comes to these things. *bangs on desk* I am just at a loss for what the issue is.

Note that after I removed the anti-virus software and re-downloaded and installed the game, that the previously mentioned file, "Circle of Eight Modpack 8.0.0 New Content.tfm," was still not present. There was a "Circle of Eight Modpack 8.0.0 New Content.tam" in the addons folder. But other than the uninstall and readme files, that was it.

10. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

This will take a while, I'm currently replicating your issue through my End.

Sadly, your missing the .tfm file, which is needed by Front-End for actual installation of the modpack. Did you see this instance below while you are installing the co8 modpack? This is the proof that you have it after installation. Try running the installer as Admin. Did you restart your computer after AVs uninstallation?

[​IMG]

I'd finished my installation and the .tfm file is there. If I renamed the extension of .tfm file to .tfmx the co8 modpack will not show in TFE-X. That's it. Hope it helps.

11. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

I advise you to restart your computer if you have not (I recommend it). Also download, Norton Removal Tool (Use at your own risk!) to completely remove all norton related files. I've been a norton user of the past, and I'm really disappointed with its uninstaller. The uninstaller itself is not enough to eradicate all of its associations that's why you have to use NRT.

12. mcgrobert

mcgrobert Member

I did not know that about Norton and yes, I did restart after uninstalling the AV. I ran NRT and did another full uninstall, redownload and reinstall. (appropriately rebooting my machine as necessary) It is still giving the same out come.

Unfortunately I cannot see the Co8 installer progress as it is working. It unpacks and installs extremely fast on my end.

13. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Heh, patience might pay-off later. It's alright, the installer always does its job. Anyway, can you give the full path of your installation directory? Thanks.

14. mcgrobert

mcgrobert Member

C:\Temple of Elemental Evil

Were you looking for the contents as well?

15. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Apparently yes. Could you provide a screenshot, inside your Temple of Elemental Evil directory, the file must be clogged up somewhere. Thanks. :)

Also check for other Program Files directory, you might be seeing the old installation corrupted by your AV, believing it was the recent install.

Our Host!