:( Wheel of Time

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vampiricpuppy, Sep 20, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

Not Sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum (ive been in absentia lately - coming back tho), but Robert Jordan passed away the other day:

http://wotmania.com/wotmessageboard2showmessage.asp?MessageID=68399

For those who arent familiar with the guy; he's an author of one of the most popular current fantasy series - the wheel of time. Was diagnosed with a terminal illness a while back, and has now succumbed to it; with his final installment of WoT unfinished.

There was actually one avid fan who offered him bone marrow some time back - thats devotion.

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

no one has mentioned it here yet, and honestly I don't feel like I'm missing much even if he hasn't finished his stories.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

That is sad news.

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Stupid man could have finished the books about 6 editions ago. Ah well, one less turgid series to wade through out of determination to finish it...

WoT started off so well too.

Sad that he's dead, but to be honest WoT was definitely going from bad to worse.

5. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

Truly sad at his passing -- hopefully not much of the last book has to be ghost written, otherwise I'll feel it's largely filler until the ending scenes, which according to Robert Jordan, were the first parts of the series that were penned. :)

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

actually, now you're sposed to start reading the first book again ;)

7. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I actually enjoyed the series and was awaiting his better health to finish it... are you also aware he wrote some of the beginning of the genre with "Conan the Barbarian" looks like we'll need to get JK Rowling to finish it.

8. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

There is no good Conan other than such as was penned by the master himself. Everything else is only pulp, and merely pretends at the heroic achievement attained only by Robert E. Howard. I don't care how good his other stuff is, the imitation Conan doesn't even come close.

9. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

IMO not very

10. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I thought the first book in the Wheel of Time series was excellent. Just a shame that all the rest weren't to that standard and he disappeared into 'X tugged her braid and Y wondered whether he would ever understand women' nonsense which he used to pad out the books.

Never read his Conan stuff on general principle. It would be like someone rewriting stories about Druss or any of the other classic 'pulp' fantasy characters.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

His pen shall be sorely missed. :(

I for one, enjoyed his interpretation of Conan.
    I understand he's not Howard, so I read his writings as they were his own.

btw......I am lucky enough to have early editions of the 13 original stories by Howard.

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

To each, his own.

Lucky rascal. :notworthy

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Lucky is right. My addiction to used book stores has payed off a few times. ;)

14. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

Yeah man, I used to have a 50$ a week "habit," and my dealer was the used bookstore just a few blocks from here. I think my girlfriend at the time, who couldn't imagine reading anything not required by school, was ready to throw an intervention. :)

-Grey

Our Host!