What's the Story with Zert's AC?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Nov 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Anyone else ever notice this before?

Zert's AC as displayed in the character/inventory screen doesn't seem to square with that displayed in the AC breakdown window. Both naked and armored, he seems to have a dexterity bonus of +3 reflected in his AC as appears in the character/inventory screen. Yet the AC breakdown window displays his dexterity bonus as +2, as well as reflecting the +2 in the overall AC within that window.

Note that in these screenies, Zert is encumbered (medium) and is not enjoying the effects of any magical items.

Haven't particularly looked for this with any other NPCs.

[edit] Stuck a larger image in a zip as the 100KB limit for jpegs was not too clear.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

he's not the only person that happens to... its happend to one of my PCs (except it displayed it as 1 more in the break down), I had a ranger and a rogue both wearing studded leather, both with the same dex score. one of them (I can't remember with one) had a AC one less than the other so I checked the break down and it was different from the paper doll display. it did fix itself after a while at some point between the shop map (where I noticed the problem) and imridys run.

3. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Maybe one of them had Dodge?

------------------------------------
    Wow I'm a ghoul now! :)

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

By Jove I think he's got it, Zert has got Dodge in his feat list, it appears that the AC bonus granted by Dodge doesn't get lised in the roll breakdown window, and hasn't since at least patch 2, maybe it never has.

The real test however is if Dodge only grants the extra point of AC against the first opponant who attacks you that round as it should do, or if the extra point of AC is in effect for all attacks Vs that character.

5. maggit

Glad to be of service. I'll check that one out. ;)

==============================
    It seems that dodge does not work at all... or I am
    missing something. My rogue with AC 20 (without
    Dodge and 21 with it) got hit by a monster and his AC
    didn't rise to 21, I checked the rolls. Note that he was
    not flatfooted... or does Dodge work here against the one
    with the highest initiative?
    ==============================
    Update: I don't know, it looks the AC in the Character
    Window is calculated taking Dodge into account while
    in game it is added or disregarded when necessary.
    Checked it again with my Barbarian (also has Dodge)
    everything worked fine. I must have overlooked something.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I may not understand Dodge too well, but it would seem to me that it should neither affect the character's static AC, nor be displayed as an AC modifier at all except at that very moment when the character is under his first attack of the round. In other words, if you clicked on the rolls breakdown for that character's first received attack of the round, the Dodge AC bonus would be listed there in the breakdown window, but nowhere else and at no other time.

Hey - I sound like I'm jumping onboard the 'demands' bandwagon! Hop on, it's fun! :dance:

7. maggit

That's right. And although the game seems to display it erroneously the character's
    AC is OK, the +1 modifier is added to it when the first enemy attacks the character.

Our Host!