What's in your nickname?...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agetian, Sep 2, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Some time ago we were posting our photos here, and I was thinking that it might also be interesting to hear the stories about your nicknames, guys. If anyone wants to explain what his nickname means/what it comes from, feel free to do so!

So, let me do the explaining first.
    I'm a linguist, though, so sometimes the explanation could get kinda complicated (beware :))

I've been known as Agetian for more than 5 years, it is my first network nickname and my last one (I don't want to adopt a new one). Before I called myself Agetian I used to be known as "MikeDev", which came from 'Mike the Developer' and was non-specific and plain enough. The word 'AGETIAN' itself is a stylized combination from several things:

1) 'AGETIAN' partly takes its root in the English word 'gadget' (modified using a couple simple phonetic transpositions, like dg>g simplification and the loss of the initial consonant), which kinda got there for some reasons:
    1.a) In my childhood I was a big fan of Disney's CDRR (Chip&Dale Rescue Rangers) cartoon series, and of the Gadget Hackwrench character in particular.
    1.b) Gadget Hackwrench used to be an inventor in that series, and I *am* an inventor in my soul as well, therefore I thought the parallel to be worthy enough to adopt it.
    1.c) Since "gadget" in English means "a tool" (and sometimes it's supposed to have some electronics to it as well), and at the same time I like to fix bugs in computer programs, I kind of thought that the transference and incorporation of that meaning into my nickname is also wise and worthy.

Initially, after incorporating 1.a through 1.c into the stem "aget-", I came with a couple possible ways to spell my nickname, and I liked neither of them: (agetar), (agetor), (agetarius), etc. So, I kept searching for additional sources. I wanted my nickname to sound somehow better, so it also partly takes its root in another source:

2) 'AGETIAN' also refers to a red dragon whose name was Agentennemar (I don't remember what book it's from, but it's something FR- or Greyhawk-related). Anyway, observing the similar name in R.A.Salvatore's "The Cleric Quintet" (Fyrentennemar) and observing the way it is made shorter (Fyren), I made the similar transformation with "Agentennemar > Agen". However, Agen sounded very small, so I decided to integrate my previous stem "aget-" into it and see what happens. I expanded the root ('ag- > aget-' in the word "Agen") and got "Ageten". This sounded better, but still wasn't finished from my point of view (the vowel repetition looked pretty bad). On the other hand, I really liked the "-n" ending for some reason (a masculine name ending in some invented fantasy languages, too, like - some elven languages). Therefore, I decided to make yet another transposition there ('-e > -ia' after '-e'). It makes sense (compare: "-en after -ai- in "Mordenkainen"... the reverse will make sense and will sound good, too). That's how I got what I have now: 'Agetian'. :)

Yes, the explanation sounds complicated, yes, the word has several sources and yes, it is meaningful and, in fact, filled deeply with meaning. And the complicated character of the development of my nickname is also THE reason why I don't want to change it to anything else (everything else will be lacking from the point of view of the meaning).

So, guys, let's hear what you've got!
    Of course, if you don't like to comment your nickname, just don't do it!
    But if you WANT to, come on - let's hear it!

- Agetian

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Mine is a derivation from a book I once read. In this book there are two characters who are the same person but from parallel universes. The first was Danny Blue, who is a spacefaring rogue from a high tech universe. The second was called Azuredan, a wizard from a magical universe. I really liked the name Azuredan, and started using it for all my male CRPG wizards. The whole Dan thing really didn't fit a female though, so sticking with the blue theme , I came up with Cerulean the Blue (though I probably have botched the spelling of cerulean). This is the first place I've ever used it as a nickname, but it seemed to fit since every time I've played through ToEE I've had a character named Cerulean the Blue.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

ShiningTed was suggested for me by some ginormous Web presence, Yahoo or MSN or someone (I think it was MSN). It happened as follows:

MSN: What name would you like?

Ted: Ummm, Ted?

MSN: Well, we already have a Ted. How about, ShiningTed?

Ted: Mmm k.

And hence to this day, people still know who MSN are, from their association with my name :D

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

:imwithstu Yeah, I got mine a similar way, Although it was Yahoo that saw me make the transition between my given name - Alex - to the nickname I have now, being known online as "alex2605972689436" really didn't make much sence to me (as I'd never rembember it anyway!) so I adopted a different spelling of my name, and I think I got the name I wanted - but lost the password - D'oh! As it is Yahoo have lost my password again! Suppose that's what you get when your programmers have doughnuts for brains!

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I couldn't think of anything better and I didn't think any of the names from the Dark Tower were any good for nicknames so I opted for a name from another Steven King book that I like.

6. Adoniis

Adoniis Member

My nickname come from Greek Mythology. I'm a nerd and spent years studying mythology. The story of Adonis was an interesting one to me, and the name just sounds cool.

My fiancee suggested I name my Magician on Everquest Adonis, so I did, now I use it everywhere.

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

'Spike' is the name of my longest running NPC from my Greyhawk campaign. It was already taken when I signed up at the Atari boards, and I hated the idea of having a number following the name, so I tried some permutations.

Lord_Spike is what finally worked well enough to suit me, so there you have it. Besides, as the character grew, so did his level and reputation. His adventuring PC buddies also were addressed as 'Lord' in their titles (Lord-Wizard Cameron Zorn of Onnwal & Lord Kevlar the Ranger of the Vesve Forest, to name just two).

I'm gonna try a new avatar to go with it soon...!

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey, Spike changed his avatar, so I changed mine! This one more closely resembles the guy of the same name, who happens to be a fictional movie character that is a sociopath and murderer. I just found the character very interesting.

(Or is it actually me? Only the shadow knows. ;) )

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  9. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

someone had heavydan on hotmail already so i went with heavydan85 for the year i was born

10. Lord_Spike

That's not the best pic of my old tabletop dungeon figure. As soon as I can, I'm going to get a badass digital pic of it up there. For now, I guess this'll do...can you believe I did this on my flatbed scanner...!

11. Gaear

Sorry if I seem fixated on these things, but are you a "she," Cerulean? I only ask because there seem to be so few in this community (Liv notwithstanding), and also because I promise to cut down on the anotomical references when you're around . . . if you are. :blush:

12. Lord_Spike

I think monochromatic is the way to go until I get a good pic of the lil dungeon dude...kinda like ol' Gaear, here.

13. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Anatomical references don't bother me in the slightest. Quite the opposite in fact. I think all of you are absolutely hilarious!

14. Lord_Spike

Well, I for one am glad you feel that way. Now we can all relax and talk about that lovely eye of yours...

:giggle:

15. Gaear

Yeah, perfect answer! Now we can get right back to crude! ;) (Seriously, C - it's great to have a gal who's just one of the "guys" here in our midst.)

btw, Spike - that latest Avatar looks pretty cool. :thumbsup:

Our Host!