What makes turn undead destroy, not turn?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Codeguru, Apr 5, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Codeguru

Codeguru Member

I recently had to remake my cleric because she had crappy initial feats on her and now when I use her turn undead it is only turning the undead. Before it almost always killed all undead that were in the fight but it doesn't kill anything now. I did change her domain to destruction and something else where it was destruction and law before but can that make the complete difference? I seriously hate when it turns them, just prolongs a short, low exp fight...

Codeguru

PS- Also she was a St. Cutbert worshiper on both creations.

2. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Selecting the "Improved Turning" feat is a sure-fire way to destroy those pesky undead. Think it kills what would normally only have been turned.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  3. TimSmith

TimSmith Established Member

Imp turning actually adds 1 to your cleric's effective level for turning. When you successfully turn undead, you destroy undead with hit dice half or fewer your cleric levels.
    So, at low levels that can certainly make it destroy what would have been turned.

The Sun domain has a one per day granted power to destroy when you would have only turned and this works on higher hit dice undead too...

4. Codeguru

Codeguru Member

Heh, so Pelor it is then. I only chose St. Cutbert because he seemed like the one god who would murder all undead ruthlessly but I guess he's just an undead scarecrow like most of the rest. The thing that makes this so annoying though is NONE of this is in the instruction booklet, only the description for the stats is pretty well documented. And every time I screw up on the other parts they tell almost nothing about, it's just another 500+ rolls, sometimes 1000+, just to get back the stats you had and fix the problem. Oh well, thanks for the help...

Codeguru

PS- Stupid question probably but do you need Improved Turning to enhance the Sun power?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

No, but it will. unfortunately the turning checks don't show up in the roll history window, the cleric spell "Consecrate" should weaken undead within the area of effect.

Heh I prefer to control the undead with even an evil cleric anyway.

6. Dragon_Awakened

Dragon_Awakened Wandering Warrior

My 9th level elven cleric uses the sun and good domains through Ehlonna. Being elven she may also use the longsword, rapier, longbow, and short bow. Blasting large groups of undead with a 'sun' turn beats wasting arrows or risking nasty side effects from melee with undead, or expending the holy smite I typically save for living foes.

7. Codeguru

Codeguru Member

Yeah that's exactly how I feel about them. Even as far as I've gotten into the temple I've not seen one undead that was worth my time, and now I'm restarting with my characters having the right feats. This new greater turning looks like it's going to be a nice one to use if I run into a hoard of higher level zombies at some point that I haven't seen yet...

Codeguru

Our Host!