What games did you regret buying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOEEHamster, Nov 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. TOEEHamster

TOEEHamster Member

Since we are talking about games. What games did you regret buying? Feel free to bash and rant.

Fanboys: try not to go nuts when your favourite game gets trod it.

1) The Sims: I love Sims 2 and I love Maxis but I don't love the Sims. Didn't stop me from buying the sequel.
    2)Rise Of Nations: Too messy and fast paced. Infinite resources just makes it worse.
    3)HOMM 3: Lots of people like it so I bought the compilation and I'm not one of those people who like it.
    4)The Elder Scrolls 3 and 4: The first 2 are ground breaking but the flaws are fatal for the last 2. Mods do fix some of the game balance. The skill/your level/monster level relationship is pure idiocy. It wasn't so bad in Daggerfall. They should seriously consider reverting back to XP level system used in TES1:Arena.
    5)Ultima 9: People said it sucks, I should have listened to them (but don't you want to complete the collection?)

6)Ultima Online: My first and last MMORPG, I bought it at the time when I'm surfing by the minute = $200plus phone bill in 2 weeks. The internet was expensive back then.
    7)Wizardry 8: its not too bad but isn't worth it. Berserk fighters+Bishops = win.
    8)Thief: I played Thief 2 before I bought this, ruined the experience.
    9)Homeworld 2: Over too quickly. Oh the game scales with how well you did: Did very well? They'll throw more stuff at you in your next mission. Reminds me of TES (the weaker you are the weaker they are).
    10) Arcanum: The reason why I waited years before buying their next 2 games. I usually don't bother about graphics but this is just terrible (and the caves and the combat system and the game balance) I spend hours modifying the spells and weapons to balance it out.
    11)System Shock 2: Maybe I waited too long before buying it and was spoiled before I even started playing but I prefer its predecessors UW and UW2. *Hides from crazed fans* :ninja:

What games did you regret buying?

2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Wow, I didn't buy a whole lot of games within the last couple years (there was not much to buy, to tell the truth)... but anyway...
    I regret buying:

1) Neverwinter Nights 1 - the most spoiled RPG experience I ever had. Even with all the expansion packs and patches it just didn't ever live up to my expectations, which were originally quite high due to the huge post-BG2 hype.

2) Heroes of Might & Magic 4 - being a classic HOMM1-3 fan, I didn't like the changes they made in Homm4 at all. They ruined the game balance and game ideology in favor of the innovations which, in my opinion, have mostly failed.

3) Summoner - I don't regret buying it since I never bought it, but I rented it once to see what it was and I feel like I should have never done that. In my opinion, this game had one of the worst and dumbest RPG systems I've ever seen, especially when it came to combat.

4) Hitman Contracts - a spoiled, bastardized version of Hitman 1 and 2 combined with a somewhat reworked engine. Didn't live up to my expectations at all. It's good they released Hitman:Blood Money later, reviving my interest in the series.

5) Quake 4 - another failure on the side of ID Software to produce a decent shooter. The first failure was Doom 3, the second is this. Quake 4 is better than Doom 3, but anyway, I'd prefer playing any other shooter out there to playing Quake 4.

- Agetian

3. webusver

webusver Established Member

I also somehow regret about HoMM4 which I played for a while and uninstalled soon. There was a much better game for me at that time - Age of Wonders:SM.

I have also mixed feelings about NWN. Yes it had smart graphics, new AD&D system, but the single-player style for RPG imho is something wrong. Something like theatre of one actor, which appeared boring sooner or later.

I regret playing Morrowind almost in rage... :) I tried not to pay attention to it's solo-player's rpg aspect. But tried to concentrate at it's action part. And at first I enjoyed it greatly. But later I discovered the huge number of ingame spoilers which just allowed me to reach great strength too soon while the game itself appeared endless in walkthrough. I abandoned it and regret that had already bought all expansions to the game, which I'm never going to continue. Though the game really could be the great game if not spoilers.

As I always try to play at my full strength and knowledge I really hate any ingame spoilers that surrender a game to me. Thus I regret a little bit about spoilers in Humble NPC mod for ToEE, but it's quite fun to play without NPC at all. :)

PS I didn't find Wizardry8 somehow easy at all. It appeared to me just one of few RPG games which were competitive from the beginning to the end. There is also the Ironman mode which may instill thrill and fear into players' hearts. Though the world is somewhat lifeless, the game itself is a great DM with strict rules which at the same time gives freedom to players but at the same time doesn't spoil the gameplay balance. There is also good tactics in Wizardry8. Thus, for me, Wizardy is the game which I don't regret buying at all.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've played some crappy games in my time that I bought, but they cost < $10 when I got em so I don't regret it :)

I am too cheap (and poor) to buy full-price games except under extraordinary circumstances - the only one I can think of is Jedi Outcast (bought it $89.99AU full price and worth EVERY F***ING CENT)

Great games that I got hours of fun out of for next to nothing?

Jedi Academy - $9.99

WarHammer - Dark Omens - c. $14.99

Muzzle Velocity (sh*t-hot old ww2 strategy / fps game) - $14 and change

ToEE - gad, how many times did I stare at it in K-Mart before I finally bought it? $14 something as well.

A game to regret? My poor ol' bro, knowing how we both love Medal of Honour - Allied Assault, bought MoH: Pacific Assault full price for me one Christmas. What a friggin' disgrace to the franchise that game was.

5. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

There is only one (1, I, 5-4) game that I truly regret ever buying... And that is Icewind Dale II. Never before in my life, and never after, have I encountered a game so dire, that even after all those years since it's release and dozens of attempts, have I managed to complete it. The story is so uninvolving, the implementation of 3rd Ed rules so excruciating and the soundtrack such a farce, that I am quite frankly amazed that it ever made it out of alpha, let alone beta. And if BG2 managed to add katana graphics, how come IWD still had to use the bloody halberd graphic in lieu of greataxes?! The only reason I haven't thrown it out the window, is to keep it as a warning against hubris, and to remind me that even great companies can make shite games.

6. Sapper_Astro

Sapper_Astro Established Member

Icewind Dale 2: Just cannot finish the game. Its not the difficulty or anything...just always get bored.

Dungeonlords: Yes, I am an idiot.

Sid Meiers Pirates: I have no idea why I bought it. I haven't even played it! its still sitting in the box, but I have no actual motivation to play it. Idiotic.

Gary Grigsby World at war: Why on earth did I even think of buying this when I already had Hearts of Iron: Doomsday? I don't know. Probably never will.

Since there are a million more, I won't bore you to death any longer.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

For the first time in my life I find myself disagreeing with Agetian! :suprised: I played Doom 3 over the course of 2 years and enjoyed it immensely, for all the reasons they said it would be wonderful but for which most gamers actually thought it was unwonderful: slow pace, creepiness over blazing gun barrels, great atmospheric sound, etc. Friggin' monster closets drove me nuts though. (Monster's idle reflection: "Hell is breaking loose! We've overtaken the base! Our time has come! First Mars, then Earth! I'll do my monsterly part by hiding in this improbably hidden void in the wall way off here in the Enpro Plant, waiting for the off-chance that our lone capable nemesis might pass by on his way through the base. :yawn: Yessir, if he checks out Enpro, his ass is mine.")

Haven't played Quake 4, though it's sitting on the shelf.

I played Dungeon Siege and somehow enjoyed the mindless clicking and inventory management. Then I bought Dungeon Siege 2 at full price, installed it, and threw it out the window an hour later. (Might as well have saved a trip to Best Buy and just thrown the $50 out the window.) Grotesquely ill-advised mouse-key assignment made me lose my mind. Right-click to attack, everyone! :doublethu Bah! I'll stick with tradition and left-click to insert the double thumbs down smilie instead. ;)

8. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hehe, well, I guess tastes differ, Gaear. Someone above said that he hated Icewind Dale 2, although I found IWD2 to be one of my best CRPG experiences ever, along Baldur's Gate 2 etc. That's just how it goes: no game can please everyone, there will be people who will like certain games and there will always be people who won't like them. My biggest problem with Doom 3 always was that it was simply too dark - to the level where I couldn't see anything around myself even with the gamma turned out practically to the max. Also, the need to remove your gun in order to enable the flashlight sounded kinda ridiculous to me. Well, I don't know, probably it's just me. The game had the atmosphere, but somehow it failed to deliver it to me... That could be my problem, not the game's. Btw, I tried it on Ultra settings in 1024x768 on a decent PC, and it played really smoothly, so it's not the PC problem.

By the way, I never said I regret buying Doom 3. I don't regret it, I regret buying Q4. :p
    I just failed to get into the feeling of Doom 3, and that probably caused me to lose interest in this game. Also, Doom 3 sure had a lot of hype about it, and the biggest part of it was in the graphics department. And the engine of Doom 3 sure was (and still is) technologically advanced, but for a game so dark it simply failed to show all the beauty of the engine.

I'm much more of a Half-Life fan though, so don't take my words too seriously, my opinion is probably spoiled by a bias in my 3D action preferences, too... ;)

- Agetian

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

See, I couldn't get into Half-life - too repetitive, puzzles all seemed the same, and wandering around shooting monsters with a variety of guns (and crowbars) did nothing at all for me (hittinh them with a lightsaber, otoh, makes perfect sense...). I didn't even try to finish it.

But i certainly don't regret getting it, as it got me CounterStrike and Day of Defeat, 2 of my absolute favs that I play to this day.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

What? You didn't like running around behind Alyx's buttocks all day long? ;)

(That's Alyx 'Vance,' btw, not our Axl.) :mrhappy:

Attached Files:

11. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

I was sorry I wasted money on the Diabolo !&2 boxed set. I really wanted to like that game; I'd liked IWD1, which no one could claim was all that deep. Sadly, the Diabolo games bored me to the point I couldn't be bothered to finish them.

I actually liked IWD2 more or less; lots of hack and slash, and a fair step forward for the Infinity engine. The story was nothing compared to the other IE games, but there were enough funny touches to keep me interested.

12. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

i kinda regret IWDII, i keep giving it a try now and again. ive never finished it though i just get burnt out on it about halfway through. its fun for the most part but its soooooooo damm long.

Pools of Radiance: it looked cool when i got it but i lost intrest really quick with it. real long dungeon crawl to pop out for a short time and back down into another dungeon

Medieval Total War: just no fun for me.

sids pirates im glad to say that i tried a free demo so i never bought it. terrible game.

Balders Gate for the PS2: it was nothing like i was expecting and i got rid of it about a week after buying it

13. tarata738@msn.com

tarata738@msn.com Member

This one might bring back memories ]"Descent to Undermountain" from Interplay I paid $50.00 and the game was so buggy I could never get it to run.

This is a cliping from Wikipedia about the game'
    "Players and critics alike have noted the unfinished feel of the game on release. Cooperative multiplayer support, previously promised as a part of the title, was cut late in development because of severe technical issues to focus on the single player campaign.[1] The decision to use the Descent 1 Engine was also cited as a design issue, as it required heavy rewrites to the code in order to support an RPG setting such as Undermountain.[2] Bugs, embarassingly weak AI, the unappealing and shoddy nature of the graphics, and several other issues have attributed to a general consensus of the game as an example of a title that was pushed to release before it was ready.[3]"

14. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

I honestly regret having bought Starlancer. The story is just so overloaded with clichés I couldn't stand it.

And Freelancer ... everyone says it's a great game, but without joystick support ???
    That's ridiculous. I de-installed it instantly as I noticed that (after trying the first flight mission). Joystick support in a flight sim is in my humble opinion a must.

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Just have to agree with you there, I love flight combat sims, they're certainly a lot safer than actually joining the RAF ;)

I have one flight sim that I can use, and 3 much older flight sims that run from dos that I've never seen working on my PC, I regret buying them I suppose, but since I payed £3 for all 3 of them I don't regret it too much.

My one gripe about my working flight sim - Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator WWII europe series - is that the online game is no longer supported by Microsoft, and no-one who has it installed ever wants to play it on Gamespy. :(

Our Host!