What about hiring artists for new backgrounds?

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Endarire, Aug 3, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

I know various people have stated that background images have been a major obstacle to new conent and perhaps its biggest obstacle. What about hiring artists to make backgrounds or/and other art assets of similar style and quality to match the existing styles? Such seems like the best option for new content.

Thankee!

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm sure that's not feasible financially. Plus, if we were hiring people, that would involve incorporating on some level and thus becoming a company peddling in someone else's IP. Major no-no.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think we should come up with a way to pay Gaear something for his years of service.

I know many others have done much, but Gaear has always been the one constant that has cemented this entire endeavor and enabled the many things about Co8 that we, (me included) tend to take for granted.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks lol but the minute we start throwing money around for something other than site upkeep, we start down a very slippery slope. It's not necessary anyway but it's best to stay very far away from that concept.

Daryk and sirchet like this.
  5. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

maybe someone could add a statue in hommlet or make one of the houses into "Gaer's house of Confucius:confused:) with a lot of random stuff and gear in a straight-jacket waiting for "those nice young men in their clean white coats" after all, what sane person woul do gaer's job:p:D;)

sirchet likes this.
  6. Badsirbrian

Badsirbrian Member

Keeping it free is a must to avoid any legal issues I'm sure. The background artwork for the maps seem the easiest part of it to me, I can do isometric maps using a bunch of layers in the free program paint.net if others could handle gameplay part of it we could have some more content. I just don't know how to do the in game programming like the lighting, clipping, pathing, and python scripting yet to fill in the levels....all of those seem like they would take a lot of trial and error and more effort to get right than the map itself.

Our Host!