Weird. Tutorial works fine- but actual game can't start

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rickenbacker, Jul 14, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker Established Member

Normal install, 2 patches, no cd crack.
    Tutorial worked fine, but when it came time to hit "New Game"- it crashed & went back to my desktop screen.

Wha' happened??

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

3. Rickenbacker

No dice w/ just disabling my anti-virus. Still jumping back to my desk top.

From what I see in that link, it looks like I'll have to install the mod pack(?)

4. Necroticpus

Maybe check to see if your resolution is supported first and or running the game as admin.

5. Rickenbacker

Fix resolution from my laptop? To what settings?

(tried opening under Administrator", but I realized the account I log on with is already the administrator.. Then I tried doing it under Safe Mode, but the game wouldn't start at all like that)

6. Necroticpus

Supported widescreen resolutions for ToEE are:

1280 x 720, 1280 x 768, 1280 x 800, 1440 x 900, 1680 x 1050

Unsupported widescreen resolutions for ToEE are:

1920 x 1080, 1920 x 1200

If your laptop is set below that, it most likely is or else everything would be inhumanly small on the screen, that should be ok.

For administrator, you want to go into the properties of the front end file, TFE-X.exe, go into the compatibility tab and click "run as administrator".

If that still don't work, I would ask if you have any anti-virus running, because that causes problems. I cannot speak intelligently on anti-virus stuff because I don't know about them or ever use them. Gaear will have to help you past that.

*edit*
    Actually, I just noticed that you don't have the modpack installed. I would install it and then you can still have a completely vanilla game by downloading the 5.8.1 BETA modpack.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

5.8.1 (or any of our 'standard' - i.e. not new content - modpacks) is not really vanilla; it just doesn't contain the Co8 major expansions. For a closest-to-vanilla experience, get Co8 3.0.4. Please refer to the chart in this thread for details on what is in each modpack.

8. Rickenbacker

& that seems to be working. So it looks to me like if ever anyone has most any problem, you likely need to install the mod.
    But thanks!

Gaeer- So it isn't totally vanilla? What're the big differences? (I'm playing mod normal)

Our Host!