Weapon Questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, Jul 21, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I rerolled and got him 17 charisma.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think that's kind of cool btw. Our Meleny has very high standards and only the cream of the crop need apply. It changes the whole thing from a click-by-numbers drill to something you actually have to think about.

One thing I wonder though: what happens when the Eagle's Splendor wears off? Shouldn't Meleny lose interest and suddenly need to go home to wash her hair?

3. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

That doesn't make any sense though. Meleny is a little country bumpkin that's never been off the farm and never seen anybody other than her father and the rest of the people in Hommlet. Her standards should be set quite low. I mean, if you were a rich adventuring dude with the whole world at your fingertips and messing around with god's plans and whatnot, would you really be satisified with a homey country girl that is used to the feeling of manure between her toes? Two people who are going to try to share time together have to be closely equal in order for there to be any chance at all of the relationship surviving.

4. Gaear

Well if you chase her around while you're doing your level 1 fedexing (which I think would be most common), you're hardly a rich adventurer doing god's bidding. You're the fedex guy. Plus, Meleny's dialogue suggests she's something more than just a country bumpkin: she's the village hottie who has presumably tried most of the "boys around here" and found them lacking or "all so boring." My impression is that she's a bit of a princess, biding her time until an offer that's worth her while comes along because she knows they all line up for a shot at her. If that's the case, then her standards would be quite high - for Hommlet standards anyway.

5. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

who's a rich adventuring dude at levels 1-3 in ToEE? I didn't get paid for any of that Fedexing.

:ninja: ninjad by Gaear

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  6. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Even after the Eagle Splendor wears off your character is the only one for Meleny. After the first encounter she only sees you through imaginary eagle splendor glasses.

7. Gaear

That's fairy tale talk. (just funning you, realmzmaster.) It would be neat to mod it somehow so that she dumps you if you put her feet to sleep ("No vacations, no romantic getaways? You are so lame.") or don't give her enough stuff ("No diamonds, no emeralds, no gold necklaces? Go away, loser.") Plus it would be a way to suck some more money out of the Hommlet economy.

As it is she's way too longsuffering for her 'type,' imo.

8. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Maybe no refunds after a roll in the hay in her family's big barn.

Ah, that was @Arioch's mod-concept from long ago.

9. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Actually Gaear, what would be real fun is the kind of demands Fruella could lay on the character. What you bring me emeralds again! Can't you find dragons that like diamonds and pearls? You are the leader of the group shouldn't you get a bigger share? You take her home for a visit with her father. Her father looks at you all haggard and says I use to feel your pain and gives you a big smile! He says Thank you! and walks away singing.

10. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Or perhaps another thought would be that if you aren't giving her enough material possessions, not letting her get involved with combat, selling stuff to vendors and just generally being over-possessive, she should walk out on you and start working at the nulb brothel, where you meet her later, carrying on an affair with Jenelda while the divorce papers are going through the system. First, you drive her away and then not only that, but drive her to bat for the other team!

And then her father, a 15th level retired fighter with a belt of Storm Giant strength, a double bladed intelligent vorpal axe and other assorted magic items, comes and wipes you out for shaming the family and you are forevermore ostrasized by everyone in Hommlet over the scandal.

11. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

One could argue that the courtship stage of the relationship is where you need all of the charm and wining and dining. Once that is over your sorcerer,bard, etc. can let himself go a bit.. ;)

12. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Ranth
    I haven't tried a straight fighter, but 16 Charisma (and selecting the right dialogue choices) should be all it takes. I just did two tests, one with a Rogue with 16 Charisma and 1 skill point in Diplomacy, and the second test using a Cleric with 16 Charisma and no skill points in Diplomacy. In both cases I was able to complete the "Flirting with Disaster" quest and get the Holy Longsword as a wedding gift (pity the cleric worships Pelor and doesn't know how to use it). I should point out that you must have a "face" person with decent Charisma to get anywhere with the FedEx quests. As a further test, I tried a Druid with 11 Charisma and the "2CP Diplomacy Booster" (aka "Black Dress") and got exactly nowhere with Meleny, her father, or the carpenter. I also noticed that the number of rumors you get from Fillikens Sister in Law depends on the Charisma of the character doing the asking. When my 16 Charisma Rogue asked her for rumors, I got 20+ rumors. When the Druid asked her (new game), I got exactly 3.
    I just did another test, this time with a Fighter with 16 Charisma. I had no problem with talking to Meleny, but for some reason the Carpenters Rik and Marek didn't want to talk to my fighter when he first showed up. My fighter even "forgot" who Althea was (Filliken's daughter who is in love with Marek) even though he had just spoken with her 2 minutes earlier !! All I had to do to "fix" the problem, was step out the door and then step back in, and I was able to get the dialogue choices to complete the quests.
    The Royal Canadian

13. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I've found that 16 charisma is generally sufficient, no matter what the class.

14. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi GA
    I agree. I wasn't 100% sure when I saw the post about the 16 CHA fighter getting nowhere, so I decided to double check. Like I said in my earlier post, the problem I had with using a fighter was not Meleny, but the carpenters. I just realized the question I should have asked the person who reported the problem: Why waste a good stat on Charisma for a fighter ?? Unless the fighter has 16 or higher Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom and Intelligence, putting a 16 in Charisma is a waste of a good stat.
    TRC

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Could someone check the dlg file, then we will know?
    Two Swords has chatter like that, but its disabled for the moment ;)

Our Host!