Weapon focus dex bug and Fix

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by StrontiumDog, Dec 20, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

Hi,

I read somewhere here once about a fix for the dexterity bug where anyone who has the weapon focus ray feat and uses the related ray spells subsequently gets a boost to his pc's dexterity. I now find myr sorcereress with a 74 or 88 dexterity every now and then which I then have to fix via the console. I think I tried the fix(for scorching ray?) but it did not seem to have an effect. Would I need to start the whole game again? That would be most annoying, if so.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2016
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re: Weapon focus dex bug

Sorry, that was me - the fix doesn't take into account higher level casters casting multiple rays (one of those things that only play-testing revealed). Actually, it was a flaw in the original Scorching Ray spell (which was a Co8 addition :)) but that's neither here nor there. I will try to dig up a working version and post tomorrow.

3. Shiningted

I got a reminder I was meant to be working on this ;) I found the 'fix' I did for this a while back but on testing, it seems to make things worse. I'll have to take the whole thing back to formula. Still planning to release this little fix this weekend.

4. Shiningted

Still working on this. Having the most ridiculous time:

- in KotB, this problem only occurs when you cast Scorching Ray at high levels generating multiple rays (oversight when I first did it)
    - in ToEE, this problem occurs on every ray spell (that I've checked) every time.

Can anyone confirm with regard to ToEE, one way or the other? Needless to say they are freakin' IDENTICAL mods and should not be behaving differently.

5. Mathalor

Mathalor Member

Is the bug supposed to need weapon focus: ray on the casting character to occur?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  6. Shiningted

Yes. If it's occurring without you even having WF Ray then it's worse than I thought, but I don't know anyone's reported that. Let me know either way please.

7. chano

chano Established Member

I use scorching ray all the time and has never seen this problem.
    So i guess it has to be Weapon focus related.
    I will try WF Ray a next level up feat to see if get the bug,, i think i will get a new feat for my wizard

8. chano

chano Established Member

can't confirm yet, my feat at level up was a class feat so WF was not possible

9. Shiningted

Ok, the problem turned out to be two fold

- Scorching Ray was, at higher levels, adding a Dex bonus for every projectile but only removing the last: I thought I was being clever the way I modded it, to make sure each one got the bonus, but I screwed it up. Now fixed.

- The 'happening every time' situation (that's "happening every time if you had WF Ray", never if without it) was because I stupidly used the wrong command. Kudos to Sitra Achara who dropped a note from the ether to point that out to me.

Fix attached, please download and install to /data/scr folder, overwriting what is there. Contains fixes for;

- Ray of Frost, Scorching Ray, Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Clumsiness, Dimensional Anchor (tested)
    - Ray of Stupidity, Ray of Entropy, Searing Light, Disintegrate, Polar Ray (untested)

Let me know if it works, if it doesn't work, or if I missed any rays.

Aside - the funky syntax I used works fine in KotB where all this was originally written and tested, and to this instant I can make it work in KotB but if I transfer the files over to ToEE, it doesn't. No idea why. Obviously the KotB files will be updated in good time too.

EDIT: Updated to include Disrupt Undead (untested).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  10. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

Thanks, I'll have a go.

11. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I was just testing for the WF Ray bug in the start of game shop. I noticed that an ELF wizard with WF Ray at 3rd level gained two points of DEX when using scorching ray, despite only having a single ray. A human wizard did not gain this "benefit".

This is before using your latest fix.

edit: this was is ToEE, not KotB

edit: also gained two DEX for ray of clumsiness

12. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Does the files have to be extracted to the game folder? Not real sure how such things work...:confused:

13. florian1

I checked it out, and the "Fix" fixed the Elf with only one ray problem.

14. florian1

I am not sure it matters where the zip file is located (maybe best in the ToEE folder?), but simply select "extract to..." and a navigation window will open. Then find and select the scr folder in the data folder which is in the ToEE folder. Or: ToEE>data>scr.

15. Shiningted

Ahhhh, Florian get's a cookie! That was the problem. I was changing stat_level instead of stat_base, as Sitra pointed out to me. In KotB I must have been testing with a human, where they are the same thing. In ToEE I know I was testing with an Elf, where they are NOT the same thing: stat_level is stat_base + racial bonus. That explains it :)

Ok, problem solved, thanks for the feedback all.

Our Host!