War of the Golden Skull can now be botched?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Legion, Jul 28, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. Legion

Legion Member

Hey all,

I just ran through the War of the Golden Skull, and I discovered that I was able to rest in the Inn, which I thought was weird, since I don't think I was able to the last time I ran through the game two years ago. I took advantage of the resting period because I'm running a solo Wizard and took out Wakefield's offensive, the Grove offensive, and the Inn's offensive all in one go, and was in desperate need of buffs.

So now, every time I enter Kenter Nevets' home to turn in the quest, Ariakas is the only one there in the building (which doesn't make sense anyway, because Kenter never left, but whatever), and now he's telling me I took too long and I failed the quest, and that everyone has been taken prisoner... even though I still went through and systematically slaughtered ALL of the Hextorites, and all of the townspeople are still where they are supposed to be BEFORE I try to turn it in.

What gives? Did this change, or do I just have bad memory? Is there a way to correct this in the console so that everyone comes back? Thanks!

2. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

The problem may be that you have X hours to finish the quest and zzzzing at the inn makes you take too long, thereby causing you to fail the quest.

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

It looks like there's a two hour timer to finish the quest.

Try setting this in your console, after all the baddies are dead, but before you enter the Elder's house.

Code:
    game.global_vars[505] = 1

4. Legion

Legion Member

@marc1967
    So that does bring everyone back... however, Ariakas still has his quest failure dialogue and I still fail the quest. Is it possible to avoid that? I really wanted to take on Iuz and just complete the Co8 content in general and don't want that quest failure to screw it up.

5. marc1967

Set that global to 1 AFTER all the Hextor guys are dead, but BEFORE you walk into the Elder's House. That should prevent the automatic failure dialog from popping up. Then you can open the dialog with him as usual and complete the quest and move on.

But shame on you for taking a nap while those poor Hommletites were under attack! ;)

6. Legion

Legion Member

I am doing that though. I have killed all hostiles in Hommlet, but I have a save just outside of the Elder's house. I still get the failure dialogue and quest failure even though the Elder is standing right there.

7. marc1967

From what I can see in the code, the only way you can get the failure dialog is if BOTH of these things happen.

1. You let more than 2 hours pass before returning to Ariakas. And also...
    2. You return to the Elder's house BEFORE killing all the Hextor's

If both those are true, Ariakas will open a dialog with you and say you took too long, and the war is lost.

So, you must have missed killing a bad guy somewhere. Perhaps you put one to sleep, or charmed one, or missed a small patrol in a remote area. They have to actually die, I'm pretty sure.

Check if you have the Savior of Hommlet reputation in the console:

Code:
    game.party[0].reputation_has(52)

If that is equal to 0, then you have more guys to kill.

If you think you've killed them all, and that reputation is still equal to 0, then maybe the game failed to record a kill somewhere along the way, and you will need to force the completion of the quest. Go to your save spot, set the reputation as shown below, and then enter the Elder's house and talk to Ariakas. That should finish the quest.

Code:
    game.party[0].reputation_add(52)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  8. Legion

Legion Member

So I went back and swept through the city for survivors, and I'm an idiot because I missed three of the road guards. The quest completed correctly, thank you so much for your assistance!

(As an aside, what is the reasoning behind putting the north road guard behind the Church?? I only found it because someone else mentioned it on here lol.)

9. marc1967

I figured there were stragglers somewhere. Glad you found them.

In the original module's map, there's an actual road that lead north out of Hommlet, past the church. So that's probably why they put guards there. I'm not sure why they left that road out of the artwork in the ToEE game. They just make it dead-end at the church.

Our Host!