want to hear your opinions.............

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by swapoer, Dec 15, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. swapoer

swapoer Member

hello everyone:
    I have just finish the game ,em~~ almost finish it i have killed everybody in the toee lv4 but failed to find the final boss,but the keep on fighting became boring to me .So i has started a new team ,but found it boring to kill the same enemy at the same place.Everything is so easy for me because i has been familiar to the rules and the game and have read some useful artile. when a lv1 half-orc babarian who is casted the bull's strength and even enlarged ,blessed ,babarian rage,is charging,the enemy just couldn't hold it.:cool2:
    Then i find something boring in this game.The enemy just hold their place!For example,if i kill the enemy outside a room the high priest in the room don't show up just waits my openning the door!Even if i go away a fews days the high priest is just here waiting.And you can always rest ,the game is waiting for you to progress.You can kill some orcs then go back to the town to rest and buy something then come back again ,the enemy will always be there waiting for you.I think i have asked too much.It is hard for this game to do this .Maybe the edler's scrool will feed my answer.But i have tried ,i tried to clear out a place without ,but the best scores is clearing out the Moathouse with once rest.But before i go out ,i still need to rest to prepare the battle outside.And clearing out the toee in this way is just imposiible,but somebody do this although. find the ring of invisiable>find out where is the tower>through the enemy because u are invisiable>get the gem by sneak or diplomacy>END.
    After finishing the game,the game seem not as attractive as it first to me.Maybe i pay too more attention on fighting so feel less joys in the game.So where is the most enjoyable element when you play this game? For me it is the 3.5DND rule ,a game which have realize most of the 3.5dnd rule in a computer and the turn-based combat just exciting me.Also the grathics is quit good.Good enough for me.

btw:Recently i just want to try something new so i pick up a druid and monk,but found monk are too uneffective to fight the enemy.It is always miss and miss again:anger: ,the damage is also too low.Anyone have the idea how to use a monk?:questionm

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Switch off Flurry of Blows, they attack less but hit more.
    I have no response to this.

3. swapoer

swapoer Member

off,but with limited points left,the strength is not hight enough so does the damage.
    maybe i should try myself.

4. DaBigDawgND

DaBigDawgND I am the Grim Reaper

How many PC's are you using?

5. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

So I guess to people like me, who are not familiar with the rules at all, the game isn't boring ? ;)

In my case, this is indeed so.

So - does the game primarily appeal to D&D gamers or to rather more "casual" gamers ?

These were the thoughts that instantly dropped into my mind after reading this. ;)

For people not knowing the rule sytem well, it is very easy (imho almost too easy) to develop characters into "wriong" directions, I mean what German RPG players mean with the word "verskillen" (which basically means that someone has put points - or even too many of them - into the wrong skills, so that the game becomes unplayable, because you cannot kill the bosses anymore. This term "verskillen" seemingly arose around the time when Blizzard's Action-RPGs became popular here in Germany).

6. swapoer

swapoer Member

Fives.
    Without any npc,after i found out even with the " humble npc" on,there is still something the npc cann't do for me.For example,with a rogue npc,evently ,the npc find out the secret door but the blue door icon just will not appear.

I think the game does primarily appeal to DND gamers,if you do not familiar with the system it will quit hard to go through.And this is also the reason why it use the background of grayhawk.I think so.Maybe someone can tell your if it is so.
    I play the game with the purpose to get familiar with the rules of DND.Because i found the system of DND is intresting and couldn't help to learn more about it.However with my more familiarer with the rules the game
    appears least attracting to me.But i really like the game of this type ,turn-based,and the graphic is perfect for me.So can yours tell me what is the most enjoyable elements you find in the game.Maybe i can change the way in which i play this game ,and find great joys finally. The monk doesn't matter at all.

7. Alrik Fassbauer

So it is as if you were presented an game based on the "Dark Eye" rules system (like the Realms of Arcania series, for which some "adustments" were made for the american market). http://www.thedarkeyerpg.com/ (Drakensang will be the next game for this system.)

The "Dark Eye" RPG system is the most popular one here in Germany, and the vast majority of German RPG players knows it very well.

Gamers outside Germany - especially in America - wouldn't know it. Thus, their gaming experience would differ from that of German gamers.

But I guess this is becoming too much off topic now ...

8. swapoer

swapoer Member

I really agree with your last sentence.So why did you dicide to play the game?What attracted you. What do you find most enjoyable?
    I don't known too much about what the other people feel about this game.This is the why i ask the question about.But i have seen the developers diary and it appear to me the game is most for the core dnd player.And so it is hard for a fleshman to begin a game so complex.The game don't have many palce where you can kill as many enemy as to level up youself.So level up is important,especially for the wizard,decide which spell to learn.

9. Alrik Fassbauer

I like RPGs in general, know a little bit of the (A)D&D system, and I was actually glad the excellent in-game help let me understand it a bit more ! But the greatest thing was the starter set I bought two months ago for 3 Euros ! That was my personal breakthrough in understanding the rule-set !

I personally love turn-based combats, that was one of the main reasons why I finally bought the game, although it has a fairly bad reputation of being bug-infested which kept me from buying a *lot* of the time.

By accident i found it very cheap, so I bought it. I haven't regretted it since (that).

I haven't seen the developers diary yet (but a good idea anyway, might check it out), but I was interested in playing a game with *so* many options. I was always playing the "advanced" style in the Realms of Arcania games, with lots of micro-management involved. So, playing a game with many options wasn't unfamiliar to me. It was just anither rule system I didn't quite get into this far. TOEE made me getting more interested in it.

Our Host!