Using search tool

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by crpgnut, Jun 28, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. crpgnut

crpgnut Member

Okay, I've tried equipping this, just clicking the use icon on the character sheet, dragging it to the glowing portal. Standing by the steps and doing the same two things. My character has 4 search and with the bonus its like 9 for my halfling. Nothing happens.

I get an item transfer error when dragging it to the use icon. I can use potions just fine.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The Secret Door Search Tool is a radial menu item. To use it, open your character's radial menu and select Secret Door Search Tool in the radial menu options.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  3. crpgnut

crpgnut Member

Thanks, gazra! It's been so long since I've played a game like this, I forgot about the old radial menu system.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ya... the 'use_item' code in the game is actually broken (sometimes you'll actually see the 'you failed to use the item' box flash up before it is overwritten by the item's effect on a successful use), so you get the annoying circumstance that a lot of perfectly usable things fail if used from the Inventory 'use item' button, while others (such as books) demand it and don't function from the radial menu. Annoying, that. Apologies to all, but not something we can fix at this point. And we can't just have everything work one way or the other because different sorts of items - charged, single-use, multiple use etc - have inherently different ways of being used.

5. Zombra

Zombra Member

So I remembered the radial menu ... but it turns out that my high-Search Ranger is the "wrong alignment" to search for secret doors ... :\

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I thought the only requirement for using the search tool was four points in the search skill.

7. Shiningted

As it mentions on page 1 of the manual in large font, you can currently only play as Neutral Good, Neutral Evil and Lawful Neutral parties. Were you playing as any of those?

8. Zombra

Zombra Member

Ah, thanks Ted. I was looking at the wrong manual.

Guess I'll wait until the next final release comes out :p

9. Shiningted

This is the 'full release' (as in you can play through til the end), not the final release. And as per elsewhere, since it went live a couple days early I am playing catch-up on the documentation. Check the News thread later for an explanation for all this.

10. Zombra

Zombra Member

Ah! Full release! I misunderstood. Glad to see development is continuing!

My Chaotic Neutral party will have to wait. I'll give your Evil version a try! Keep up the good work.

11. FuzzyJake

FuzzyJake Member

Same issue... something like "wrong alignment consult manual" (TN party, CN character)

12. Shiningted

Currently you can only play as NG, LN and NE parties. The next release will add LG and LE.

Our Host!