Unable to run ToEE Front End X

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by onikage, Jun 30, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. onikage

onikage Member

I have followed the instructions here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6695

I started with a clean install, ran patches 1 & 2, verified .NET, downloaded Co8 5.8.1, extracted the files to the ToEE directory. When I attempt to run TFE-X, I receive the message "Another instance of ToEE Front End X is already running!".

Pretty weird, because I've never run TFE-X before....and there's NOTHING running in background processes. I restarted the PC, just to be sure, and tried again, same message.

No idea what's going on here.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's usually a VISTA problem. When you start, run it as administrator.

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I had similar problems, in VISTA as well, try running the repair option from the Front End folder, that worked for me. I had to run it a few time for every time I started the Front End, then it started working on its own.

4. onikage

onikage Member

I'm using Windows 7, 64-bit.

If I attempt to run TFE-X Repair Kit, I receive the error message "ToEE Front End X is not installed, please install the front end first."

Edit: Run as admin option seems to fix it. Thanks.

2nd Edit: I've "successfully" installed it, and now, if I activate the mod pack in the front end, when I click "Play" the program immediately crashes to the desktop. The process is still running, but it's unresponsive. If I instead activate the default module, it runs normally. The repair utility finds no problems.

5. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

You may need the no CD crack.

6. onikage

onikage Member

Ok, do you mean that I should overwrite the ToEE.exe with a cracked version? Has that been verified to work with the mod? Can I do it now, having already installed the mod, or should I reinstall the game, overwrite the exe, and THEN go through the mod installation?

I can't find any information on this in the documentation accompanying the mod.

Incidentally, rather than right-click "run as admin", you can simply right click, go to properties and adjust security permissions so that all users get full access. That provides a permanent solution to the problem I was having earlier. Not sure why it's not configured that way by default...

Edit: I have applied a NO-CD crack. Nothing has changed at all. It still crashes immediately if I try to run anything but the vanilla module through Front End.

Is running the new module required to take advantage of the bug fixes and rules corrections, or is it just required to access new/restored content? If it's the former, I'll settle for just playing without the extra content. If it's the latter, I may need to look for another fix for those issues, either an earlier version of this project or a different one entirely.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I know you said you changed permissions for the file, but have you right clicked and in the compatibility tab scrolled to the bottom and placed a check in the "run as admin" box?

My version refused to work until I did this, although I am running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

8. onikage

onikage Member

Yes. Either doing that, or allowing unrestricted access to users who are not admin fixes the problem with "Another instance of ToEE Front End X is already running!". I have done both. The current issue appears to be caused by something else.

Edit: I believe the problem is related to the OS, or possibly the version of .NET that goes along with it. I booted off another drive in 32 bit xp and its running fine. Guess I'll have to live with running ToEE off an external drive.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
Our Host!