two bow sounds?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by RedPhalkon, Jul 26, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. RedPhalkon

RedPhalkon Cat 1 / Sor 1

Ok, maybe this is a known, uh, quirk, I guess. Maybe it's a unique thing due to my hardware, I dunno. It doesnt affect gameplay at all, I'm just curious if anyone else has heard this noise.

I found a Longbow +1 in Imeryds Run and identified it. When my rogue/ranger fires it, it sounds like the bowstring is being plucked twice or something. 'tic-Tick', each attack. Very strange...

Is this a result of my sound card being wonky, or does everyone hear this?

2. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Hum...

I´ve thinked about this, but trully, it sound in this same way for me...
    Maybe a colateral effect of the magic in the bow... I like the sound, by the way.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's a unique sound for magic bows and is as intended, not a bug or quirk.

4. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

I've noticed this too and also think it's weird. I think a bow's "magicness" could be better conveyed in a different manner. Maybe tinkling bells or other sound effect.

-Mike

5. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Weird. My enchanted masterwork crossbow sounds like an 120mm battleship cannon when I fire it.

6. RedPhalkon

RedPhalkon Cat 1 / Sor 1

Ok, well, that's a little nifty I suppose, since it's meant to occur.

I can see how that sound can be symbolic of how a magic weapon feels and behaves compared to a mundane weapon. A magic melee weapon would probably feel like it was leaping toward your target with more accuracy and speed than you were capable of on your own. It would feel a little strange at first, surely.

Maybe it's like, at the same instant you release the bowstring, the bowstring's magic takes hold of it and propels it again, so you hear a kind of "double-pluck" sound?

Maybe my imagination is running wild.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

More likely the sound guy didn't know what the hell else to do when they said "Make it sound, you know, magic-ey."

Actually, isn't it also the sound for composite bows? "Make it the sound of a bow well-tuned, strong, and true."

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's more like a gun on a destroyer or a tank. Battleships would be more like 300 - 460 mm.

The 300mm rifles on my magical Battlecruiser do indeed make a tinkling sound when I fire them, but I think that's a side effect from the brain damage caused by the shock wave from the discharge. ;)

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Battleships generally have plenty of guns in the 105-140mm range, as I am sure you know GA :p

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Whoops! The secondary armanent! Duh! :blush:

Our Host!