[Tutorial] Learning the Sector Lights

Discussion in 'Lighting and Particle Effects' started by Agetian, Aug 12, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

This thread is meant to shed some light on how to set up the sector lights using the Light Editor feature of the ToEE World Builder. Hopefully it'll be helpful to the Keep on the Borderlands team and possibly someone else who deals with new maps. More information to come as soon as I experiment some more with various light-related stuff.

If you have no idea about the basics of the Light Editor, I highly recommend that you read the appropriate tutorial included with the ToEE World Builder first. Otherwise, you may encounter problems that go beyond the topic of this thread. The way to solve these problems is stated in the lighting tutorial.

So, today's topic of discussion is the POINT LIGHTS. Point lights are the simplest of all the light types in ToEE, they are lights that spread light in all directions. I'm not sure if they get blocked by the sector blocking. Such lights are very easy to setup:

1. Make sure the Light Type is set to "Point".
    2. Define the color and location as you see fit.
    3. Offsets X and Y can be used to tweak the light location within a tile, I think this should be obvious to people who mobbed in items before.
    4. Height defines how high the light source is. This is a little tricky - if you keep this at 0, you most likely won't even see your light because it'll be at the ground level or even slightly below it. What you want to do is set it to something around 100 (90-120) in order to get a decent level of lighting. You can, of course, experiment with this and set it to a smaller or bigger value depending on how high you want your light source to be, but remember that it's 100 that you want to start with - set it to 100, test it ingame, then modify the value so that it suits your needs.
    5. The values Direction X, Direction Y, Direction Z, Angle make absolutely no difference for point lights. You can keep them at zero, or you can type any value you want in there. It won't matter.
    6. The Range defines how far the light stretches. The value 370 seems to be about the default one for torches, 500 is quite far. You'll have to experiment with this, keeping these values in mind so you know the approximation.

And that concludes our discussion of the Point Lights.

- Agetian

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
Our Host!