Trader questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Emirkol the Chaotic, Oct 10, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Just wanted some insight/clarification for the series of traders quests and events.
    The story line is great and I'd hate to miss anything.

Here's where I'm currently at. Cleared the Moathouse, killed Lareth, sold his stuff to the traders, and survived the assasin attack and got the letter from Smigmal. (Gods, did the so-and-so LOVE going after my wizard!!) I have not confronted the Traders about this yet. Burne has given me the taks to investigate this further.

Have not completed the Trader's Courier quest ATM (the guy in the barn). That's next on the list.

I'd previously completed the castile site quest but again opted not to confront the traders, only because I had not completed the moathouse and needed to sell Lareth's items.

Now here's the sticky part...
    To get the ambush at Nulb, I know it only triggers after you've reached level 6 (according to some prior posts). Do you need to run the Traders off as well for this to occur or is that a separate incident leading to the Trader's Revenge?

I'm leaning towards No, only due to some pre-event dialogue from Burne where you mention the ambush.

If I'm correct in my understanding, I should confront and run off the Traders AFTER I've been ambusehed at Nulb. Then the story should move towards the revenge portion.

And yes, I know that one or both of the traders needs to escape combat for the revenge portion to fire. I'm hjust confused if the Nulb ambush and the revenge are the same events or separate.

Why in the Nine Hells do I get the feeling I just answered my own question?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

They are the same. The traders ambush you in Nulb as revenge for chasing them out of their digs in Hommlet and ruining their situation there.

Don't want to tell you how to play your game, but personally I wish players would just let this happen organically rather than trying to manufacture a result. Just play it how your intuition tells you. Are you pissed that they apparently sent an assassin to kill you? Go confront them. Do you not particularly mind or are you the forgiving sort? Let them off the hook. Or go ask them about it and then let them off the hook. A lot of trouble was gone to in order to make things appear seemless this way.

If you do it some way that leads to the ambush not happening, well, there's always next time. That's the beauty of ToEE: replayability. :)

3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Thanks for the info. This is my umpteenth time re-plaing this game that you've all made so great. Just trying to squeeze all the loving goodness out of this!

I had previously approached the Traders in other ways, usually leading to their complete demise, and then missing out on some of the fun.

4. Emirkol the Chaotic

Sorry, but are you sure on this?? I only ask due to the dialogue option you get from Burne to tell him of the ambush at Nulb. It seems that this would occur BEFORE you drove the traders off.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No, you're not supposed to be able to tell Burne about the Nulb ambush until after it happens. Haven't heard anybody else say they could do that before ... you're not confusing it with telling Burne about the initial assassin attack, are you?

6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Nope, already handled the assassin dialogue.

The funny thing is, the trader ambush selection seems to appear right after you do the castle spy quest from Rufus. When you talk to Burne afterwords, I get the dialogue option to tell him I have more info on the traders, that's when the ambush option shows up.

7. Ebonsword

Ebonsword Member

I'm having some issue with the Traders myself.

I killed Lareth, sold his boots, and triggered the assassin.

I showed the assassin's note (by the way, what kind of total amateur carries a note on him saying who hired him, LOL :giggle:) to Burne and he said I could go confront the Traders.

So, I head over there, but I get no additional diaglogue options. They just keep trying to pimp their man-at-arms out to me.

Any suggestions?

8. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

I never got an assassin,hmmm I killed the traders sometime after I killed Lareth,but no attacks before then???

9. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Well, you could always just initiate combat yourself. Not as RP'ingly fulfilling, but effective.

You have to sell some of Lareth's stuff to R&G to provoke the Assassin attack. IIRC, anything with his name on it will do - I recommend the boots as everything else is valuable enough to be worth selling to someone else who will give you a better price.

10. kylan271

kylan271 Established Member

Ok,I sold his items to other traders so missed this. Thanks I will remember.

#Updating..replayed and sold boots to Traders got some mean ass 90hp dude out for a piece of Meleny on first travel outside Hommlet. My PC naturally defended his wifey..and the whole 3rd level party was pizza topping..oops. Reloaded..on 4th level PCs and just managed to survive..^_*(thanks to EM Fungi item)..sheeeeeeeesh. You get new quest "Retribution" from Burne.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Careful, he's a little badass. ;)

12. Krashino

Krashino Member

Umm I was able to tell Burne about the nulb attack before it happened o_O

Our Host!