Toshi's Katana Mod v1.0 Released

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Toshi, Oct 7, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Toshi

Toshi Member

Toshi's Katana Mod v1.0

This modification changes the functionality of the Katana swords, introduced by your friends at Co8 in their 1.0.0 patch.

Summary of Changes
    • Damage Adjusted to 1d10 /19-20x2
    • Damage used is v3.5 standard as per the DMG
    • Katana now uses Exotic Weapon Proficiency to mirror rules listed in 3.5 DMG
    • One-Handed or Two-Handed wielding style available
    • Mod test up to 6th level - Enchantment and Customization of the Katana with Craft Skills appears to remain unchanged and is working as intended

Katana Rules Description
    • The Katana damage has been adjusted to the damage and critical range values listed in the 3.5 DMG. 1d10 / 19-20 x2
    • Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword is now required
      for the Katana to be wielded normally.
    • Bastard Sword proficiency was used as it was the closest
      approximation to the Katana sword in the available list of
      proficiencies - Please no arm chair fencers, "sword-smiths", or know it alls - If you don't like it, don't download it.

Mod Notes and Advisories
    • There are two separate Protos.tab in the zip archive - a One-Handed version and Two-Handed version of the Katana sword.
    • Backup your existing Protos.tab - you should have one if you installed Co8 v1.0.0. If you have not installed Co8 v1.0.0, WTF is wrong with you man!?!? Go Get it!
    • Extract the Protos.tab you wish to use to your /%Greyhawk%/data/rules/ folder. You should backup for existing Protos.tab before hand.
    • The One-Handed version of the Katana Mod is wielded similar to a Longsword and uses the One-Handed sword critical animation. On a critical strike the character model does a jumping-turning-downward slash on the target.This animation is especially sweet on a downed/prone opponent and marries well with the Improved Trip feat. This version allows you to dual-wield your Katana, which may or may not be cheese, but is an option all the same.
    • The Two-Handed version of the Katana Mod is wielded in both hands (really Toshi?). This is probably the more "realistic" version of the mod. This version has the more consistent/believable normal strikes. I personally dislike the critical animation for this version. On a Critical Strike, the wielder pulls the sword over his head, rears back, and leans into the target - similar to my 1/2 Ork Barbarian with his Two-Handed Hammer. This version does not permit dual wielding of the sword (I never DW a Katana, it's just personal preference in my pursuit of anti-Dritz and/or anti-cheese).
    • WARNING - After installing either version of the mod, any character you have wielding a Katana may suck in melee with it. That is because the sword now requires Exotic: Bastard Sword to function at normal efficiency
    • Why Bastard Sword? - I used the Exotic:Bastard Sword Proficiency since it is a unique/different blade to wield (weight, balance) and is a Hand and a Half sword. A Katana meets these criterion as well. It is the proficiency available in-game that mimics the Katana IMO. Making the Katana a martial weapon is unbalancing for me, as it there would be nothing to counter or balance the improved damage and elegance of the sword. Instead of the Katana being a unique roleplaying tools to add panache, it would quickly become the Flavor of the month sword and put me to sleep with 1000's of Gen-Y Drow lovers acting out their Dritz fantasies with a better sword. (Yes, I HATE DRITZ, don't email me about it :p )

If someone wants to add a feat for Katana Proficiency, please get with me, but until then, Bastard Sword shall suffice.

Props to Co8 for gathering, organizing, and sponsoring the mod community. Without their efforts, tools, and positive energy, mods like this one probably would not happen and certainly would not get noticed.

If anyone needs to contact me, you may do so using the contact information on the website.

Download Toshi's Katana Mod v1.0: http://toee.ret-guild.net

- T

2. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

I went ahead and copied this into the released mod/tools thread, hope you don't mind. :)

3. Toshi

Toshi Member

Not at all. Did not want to overstep my bounds and post it there, since that is more of an official thread and I felt it better to wait for a mods blessing.

Hope everyone enjoys.

- T

4. Phalzyr

Phalzyr Established Member Veteran

Yes, i'd hate for everyone to start posting a bunch of silly or meaningless mods on it :) but by your description it looks like it was well planned out, whether Co8 uses it or not is up to them.

5. Hicks

Hicks Member

please tell where i can find a Katana in the game

6. Toshi

Toshi Member

You can purchase the Katana from the smith in Homlett after installing the Co8 v1.0.0 patch. He sells masterwork Katanas for ~350gp. The Katana models were included in the un-altered TOEE, but to the best of my knowledge the Co8 patch is required to bring them into the game.

All my patch does is alter the mechanics of the Katana to bring it more inline with the v3.5 ruleset and give users some graphical options for wielding the sword.

- T

7. Shin

Shin Established Member

What really interests me is the fact you can get both 1-hand and 2-hand wielding animation for one same weapon.

I wonder if the exact same thing can be done for the bastard sword and the longsword. :)

8. Toshi

Toshi Member

I can make that happen for ya cap'n - BUT...

I am using a work around suggested by my good buddy Kadekawa, and the breakdown is as follows:

1) Increase weapon to next size class
    2) Cannot dual wield or use shield with ANY weapon of that class in your game.

So, if we were to take one of the Longsword instances and make it use the 2-handed animation, no one in your party could use that class of longsword with a shield or TWF. Now, there are like 6 or more Longsword models in the module, but this breaks ALOT of stuff. It's ok with the Katana, because no instances exist in the game that I am aware of and only the graphics were included in the initial release as best I can tell.

We could probably mod the bastard sword for you if you like, but beyond that and we are asking for a lot of trouble and potentially breaking a lot of NPC and Armor Class/Wielding game mechanics.

- T

9. Shin

Shin Established Member

Oh... too bad. :( THX for the help. I'd at least love to see the bastard sword version of it.

Hmm, beside, would it be possible to make a unique *new* longsword that would be one size higher without affecting other longswords? (just the possibility to make a completely new item in this game is, crucial for my *cough* secret mod... :) )

10. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Of course it's possible. Just look at Chris W's stuff.

11. Toshi

Toshi Member

Very Doable. There are like a ton of longswords in the Descriptions and tab files. You could find one of these guys that is not used, and break, errr... Modify :) him in the table to your heart's content.

{4023}{Egyptian longsword}
    {4025}{Excalibur} /boggle
    {4029}{Rusty fantasy longsword}
    {4029}{Rusty fantasy longsword}
    {4030}{Fantasy longsword}
    {4031}{Rusty fantasy longsword}
    {4032}{Fantasy longsword}
    {4033}{Fantasy longsword}
    {4037}{Rusty longsword}
    {4038}{Longsword}
    {4039}{Rusty longsword}
    {4040}{Longsword}
    {4041}{Rusty longsword}
    {4053}{Longsword}
    {4054}{Longsword}
    {4055}{Longsword}
    {4056}{Longsword}

These are just the non-magical ones. There are magical ones going up to +5. I am hoping that a +5 is not used anywhere. so you could probably haxor that one.

<RANT>
    The standard, unmodded campaign is WAY too Monty Hall for me. +3 Chainmail and 4 Magical weapons for sending some CE merchants to hell? A +3 Holy Sword for knocking over the farmers daughter? I would have probably planted my seed in that field anyway, but to give out a holy weapon for it is just wrong :)

How Wrong you ask? This kind of wrong:
    She is your Sister Man! Sure, she has a nice little crapper on her and a big blouse of goodies, but it's still illegal.
    </RANT>

Anyways, pick one of the Longswords you don't think is being used (Egyptian, LS+5) and have all kinds of big fun.

- T

12. Shin

Shin Established Member

Many thanks to both of you.

Now it's real time to learn the python thing... :D

I might use the +5 one... turn it into........... well, something scary. :roll:

13. Shin

Shin Established Member

LOL, I now know that protoed is for viewing purpose only, no matter its name... :roll:

Can you please tell me what you used to edit proto.tab?

14. Shin

Shin Established Member

Problem sorted, and wow, if you guys modding all the game with the HEX editor... :shock: respect, respect :)

15. Shin

Shin Established Member

Bug report :

I modified the size for both my longsword and bastard sword and was having fun. Only that, when using Power attack feat, the damage bonus dealt by power attack became double. (14 instead of 7).

I'm now going to try how it works for Katana 2 handed mod...

Our Host!