TOEE won't start (jewel case version) no mods at all, no patches

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by plethaus, Sep 24, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. plethaus

plethaus Member

**I looked in the sticky threads and can't find anything about this.**

I bought TOEE from the CompUSA bargain bin for $5 a few months ago. At the time, I tried it a couple of times and was turned off by the difficulty of the game, and now I want to give it another try.

The problem is, on a fresh install (without any patches or mods whatsoever) when I run the game, I get a black screen for a moment, then back to desktop. No error messages or anything. I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to get it to work, no go. Also tried the various mods and patches, including no-cd cracks. Still nothing. Currently back to a fresh default install for troubleshooting purposes.

System specs:

Windows XP SP2
    P4 3.0ghz
    1gb PC-3200 RAM
    nVidia Geforce 7800GS
    SB Audigy

Current drivers for everything and all Windows updates.

Any ideas?

edit: I've seen a few people on the official Atari support forums mention this, but no one gave them any replies.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Sounds like a secure-rom issue to me (although could be bink). Have you tried to install the game with Co8 mods (just for testing purposes atm) with the no-cd crack for patch 2 added?

Other thing to try is to use Co8 to disable the opening video, which might help if it's a Bink issue.

3. Midloth

Midloth Member

I had a similar issue. I bought the jewel case version of TOEE a few days ago and couldn't get it to run. An old post on the Atari forums pointed me toward this forum.

I followed the installation instructions above up to #5 and now my game runs... and runs well!

Thank You Zebedee!

Our Host!