ToEE Text & Backgrounds

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Oct 26, 2011.

Remove all ads!
?

Would you like new, cooler text and dialogue boxes in ToEE?

1. Yes, I want the new!

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. No, I want the old!

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. I don't give a damn.

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

A guy called suf solar at RPG Codex did this in a quest to make text larger, more legible, and nicer looking in ToEE:

adsqz.jpg

Now, it's no larger, but I think the different font and the cool text box skin make it look pretty neat, sort of BG-ish in a way. I've always rather ... hated ... ToEE's regular old dialog box font; it's kind of like text from a hex editor help menu or something - free of character and lifeless. But you all no doubt have your own opinions.

Would players like to see this changed?

The only potential issue I could see arising from this atm is text spilling over due to it scanning differently, but that can be fixed as it's found.

2. random1

random1 Member

Gaer, let me get this straight. Is the following correct?
    - it's not possible for Co8 to increase the font size, unless some crazy DLL voodoo is done
    - it should be possible to change the font type and color
    - it should be possible to change the background in the dialog window

As far as the new UI goes I do like it a lot more, except for the floating text box. I would prefer not to have it.

3. Gaear

Yes to all three, although I've never looked into it closely myself. The fonts do have a dpi setting, which would seem to suggest that their size can change, but the gurus from days gone by who have looked at it said no. If there's enough interest here, I'll have a closer look at it myself and do some testing. I don't expect any revelations, but you never know.

I agree about the floating text box - I think we'd leave that out, as the very idea behind floating text is that it doesn't block anything.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I like the old stuff .... anyway, change is scarey.

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

For the default position text box area, I definately would enjoy this. Way better looking than the usual black background. Looks really great.

And as for the floating text, I actually would enjoy having it if it was possible to make the box not be in the way from one of these ways;

-Make it so that the floating text box becomes transparent when the cursor is hovering over it.
    -Allow the floating text box to be click and dragged around the screen, as to move it out of the way if it can only be opaque.

6. Surf Solar

Surf Solar Member

Hey there, here's the guy from the codex who did that picture. ;)

First of all - I've bought ToeE back then when it was released, but never played a game set in the D&D mechanics before, also the beginning in Hommlet scared me a bit off... Now I reinstalled it with more knowledge of all the rules and what not and having a blast.

I basically posted this picture on the codex because I wanted to get rid of this "lifeless" dialog box /w black background and all just for myself, I didn't know that more people would appreciate that- since I am doing some game vaguely based on the Fallout engine and the ToeE directory almost looks the same when it comes to folder structure, I fired up my graphics programs.

This shouldn't be a problem, on request I can make the entire textbox bigger, wider etc - just how you'd need it later when you looked into the files and see if it is possible at all. ;) I can do different versions for different resolutions aswell.

The floating text box was indeed planned to be opaque, with only the characters potrait (the one who is talking to you right now) solid - I left the floating text box "solid" because I was too lazy to shop the vanilla text out of the screenshot I used. ;) Winstons suggestions sound really nice. I would gladly do more graphics for you guys if you want, for example the combat log has the same boring black background, I could expand the inventory a bit etc etc. Just drop me a line! :)

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Hmmmm, maybe change isn't so scarey after all.

Welcome to the forum Surf Solar.

8. Gaear

Hi there Surf Solar, thanks for the offer. I'll keep you and everyone informed of what I find via a thread in the General Modification forum. Looks promising so far ... :)

9. emo_ome

emo_ome Butcher Of Hommlet

Yup, I definitely want the new one. Amazing job Surf Solar.

Edit: Btw SS can we see an image where you can select diplomacy, intimidate & etc. Suggestion - red for Intimidate, light blue for Gather Info, yellow for Sense of Motive, green for Bluff and I dunno what color would perfectly suit for Diplomacy. :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  10. random1

random1 Member

If there's going to be a text box around the floating text -- which I'd rather not to have -- it should have the exact opposite effect. It should only be present if you hover the mouse at the speaking NPC avatar.

I don't think I like the colored lines idea. But if it were to go ahead, I think it should be: red for Intimidate, then Bluff should be yellow and the Sense of Motive blue or green, while Diplomacy should be white.
    The reason for that being intimidate is associated with violence and blood. Bluff is lying so it's a less dangerous option. While Sense Motive is kind of street wise, so it reminds me of a regular people in the streets, a blue color worker. While diplomacy is white color type of work.

In any case I still think it's better to have those icons before the dialog option, maybe they just need to be tweaked a bit: Intimidate a represented with a fist, Bluff a face with a big nose, Sense Motive a spider man (j/k... I'm not sure about this one... maybe an ear or the nose and whiskers of cat/mouse), and Diplomacy a hand-shake.
    IIRC the intimidate and sense motive icons are already these. At first I got confused on the big smile icon, I thought "is this the trolling option? :D", but I now suspect it's for bluff.

11. Gaear

I was looking at those icons last night - they really are kind of dumb because they're so tiny you can't really see what they are. But they can be replaced. I was thinking of something more straightforward, like a big I for intimidate, B for buff, G for gather info, S for sense motive, and D for diplomacy. They could be whatever different colors, but I don't think the text itself is going to be changing color any time soon.

These sorts of thing won't be happening either ... I'm pretty sure the engine won't support the second, and it would be much better just to not change anything re: the first, except the font itself.

Temperence is always a good thing when it comes to this kind of stuff. We want to fix what's wrong, not rewrite the entire user interface. :yes:

12. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I don't mind improvement, but I wasn't able to read the text in the example. This effect may be the result of the fact that the new thumbnails are still small after I expand them. I wouldn't mind being able to vote on whether to go back to the old pictures.

The purpose of dialog boxes is to allow the text to be read against a consistent background and to signal that there IS dialog.

The problem with colored text in the forum is that only a few colors have sufficient contrast to be legible against the gray background. Red, for example, is NOT one of them. The would be worse against a multi-colored background if there were no dialog boxes. It CAN work on drab backgrounds like Planescape: Torment or the recent Elder Scrolls stuff.

Floating dialog that fades is, of course, a complete fail.

Another failure is having to scroll to read a dialog box.

A couple of the game's profound weaknesses is that dialog sometimes appears just one time and that dialog choices can be catastrophically irreversible. Illegible text would make the game incomprehensibly unplayable.

These are just my opinions. I would vote FOR it if legibility wasn't compromised for prettiness. ;)

13. random1

random1 Member

heheh... I also thought about using the initials as well, but then it occurred me "so Surf Solar is going to beautify the interface and then we're going to uglify it with letter codes?"
    If the icons could be changed and made a little bit bigger (this would require some spacing between lines and there's also the issue if the font size can be changed) maybe Surf Solar can use his artistic powers to make some cool intuitive icons?

While writing this post I noticed the smilies to the right... At 24x24 it's probably possible to be able to convey the needed message. (just to be clear I'm not asking for animations)
    If the option is to go with better icons, these would be my suggestions (on my previous post I also forgot about Gather Info):
    Intimidate - fist, or strong arm, or hands clenching on a shirt
    Bluff - "smiling" face with big nose like pinochio
    Gather Info - magnifying glass
    Sense of Motive - animal nose with whiskers (with "movement rings" around it), or ear
    Diplomacy - handshake

In any case, may it be icons or initials, the thing is that the player must know what they mean. On my case I don't remember seeing those icons in the manual, or when I read then I quickly forgot about them.

EDIT:

just remembered about this regarding the use of colors. On this interview with Tim Cain he says that he suffers from loss of color vision (something which I didn't even knew it existed). So maybe relying solely on colors is a bad idea.

GuardianAngel82;109933 can you see it better here? : http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=63351&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=200#1839104
    Where does this happen? On the dialog box on the left you can click it and have a log of all the conversations.
    Oh I think I remembered of one... when you do a search, the text that tells the player the result of that find quickly fades.

EDIT: link to the modding thread started by Gaer
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9250

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  14. Gaear

The expanded images are not reduced in size, they are actual size. What you see when you click on the SS example is what I uploaded (limited by the new 200kb size limit as opposed to the old 100kb size limit). The image in-game would be larger, obviously, but the larger point is that while the font is changed, the dpi isn't. (See the GM forum thread for more details on this.)

Thumbnails are there to allow people who have no intention of looking at the images to avoid waiting around while they're downloaded (the old way).

Are you referring to the game or here at Co8? As far as the game goes, we're talking about two different things - one, the real dialog box on the bottom left of the screen, which always has a black background and borders, and floating text, which has no background and appears up by the speaker's pop up portrait when they're speaking. There would be no issues with font/background contrast in the dialog box.

Dialog is always retrieveable (to an extent) via the little head icon thingie over the shuttle control bottom right menu. You'll always have the last few conversations shown there. Re: illegible text, that's the very complaint that a great many people have now - they can't read the vanilla UI text, or it's very difficult/wearisome to read because it's small.

Well the idea is to improve legibility first, make pretty second. The first is achieved by a larger font, the second by a nicer-looking font and a nice-looking background. We're not looking into this with the hope of making things worse. ;)

Again, they are tiny. I mean really, really tiny. I literally didn't know what they were until I examined them enlarged in Photoshop, and only became familiar with them through use - e.g. "intimidate is that red blotchy thing, bluff is that yellow blotchy thing," etc. Letters, while not being particularly pretty, would at least be functional, and functionality trumps prettiness when you can only have one or the other.

Changing scale and whatnot opens up a whole different can of worms and I'd rather not get that far into it. Still, the icons can just be left alone if we can't come up with anything.

15. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I hope I can address/sum up all of the areas of concern talked about in the thread here in my post;

Main Dialogue Box;

I support the new box background 150% for being implemented to this area of the UI. The soulless black background can do nothing but improve in this aspect.

Charisma Skill Indicators in Text;
    In a situation of icon vs letter, I will pick icon usually. I'm very fond of those little pictures, and I've come to recognize them by color coding usually (green - gather info, red - intimidate). It was a bit confusing at first, sure, but I just examined the pictures and saw things like a little flexed arm which was for intimidate, and got it. If it's possible to slightly increase the size and visibility of the icons, I would really like that, but otherwise, I'd prefer icons to letters. This situation sort of reminds me of the scathar/fragarach graphical models. The old ones were cooler, we changed them to be normal and make more sense, but the old ones came back anyway.

Text size & Color;

I'd like it if the text size could be increased and/or the font type be changed to one easier to read. I've always had a bit of an annoyance looking at walls of text in the ToEE boxes. Definitely an area to try to fix if possible. Also, I think changing the text color to a white/tan would be better to fit with the old background/new background respectively. That sickly yellow color of the text is just unappealing. It needs to be something that boldly catches your attention, and is pleasant to look at and not difficult to decipher.

Floating Text;

If it were possible, having a background that is transparent by default and opaque if the cursor is hovering over it would be the best. There are times I've had to move the screen to a different area to see the text, and if I could just hover the cursor over it to get a contrasting background to read it, it would be great. Otherwise, leave it. But definitely try to fix the text size/color, because floating text can be annoying sometimes.

Our Host!