ToEE 'Shares'

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zebedee, Jul 19, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

How does the share system work in 3.5?

Eg. You have 5 PCs and 1 NPC with a full share. Therefore, loot should be divided 6 ways with the NPC taking 1/6 of the total?

Is that right?

I'm thinking that there must be a more elegant solution to the NPC looting issue (perhaps by dividing the cash at the point of sale) but I'm trying to get my head around how the share system is meant to work.

2. zuluwarrior94

zuluwarrior94 Established Member

According to the 3.5 Player's Handbook, the best way is to divide the treasure evenly between all involved. In the case of gems and other sellable items, you can divide the money made evenly between all. It gets kinda convoluted when you try to divide magical items though. But in a computer game, it would be up to the person playing the game to decide who got what magic item.

In the games I've ever played in, we always sell the loot and divvy up the money evenly.
    Even with the NPC's in the party.

That seems like the best overall solution.

I hope my post helps at all.

3. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

I wouldn't mind if they got 1/6 of the value as cash, with granting of magic items at my discretion. I am sure nobody likes NPC's encumbring themselves with items they do not and often cannot use.
    Exceptions like Spugnoir, who is clear and upfront enough that you know the choice you are making, are :thumbsup: by me.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

In the PnP games I've ran (I haven't actually played many games as a player) my players generally split the cash evenly, magical items are usually left in the hands of one of the players who would find it most useful, wizards and clerics get scrolls and wands they can use, ones they can't use might get passed onto a rogue.

For weapons (as a DM) I would generally substitute whatever magical weapons that were listed for similar items that members of the group actually use, so they are normally passed to whichever group member can make the most use out of.

5. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

I'm not sure how workable any sharing system would be with the NPCs. Money is only useful when you use it to buy something, and an adventurer who doesn't need it for something else should be sinking his cash into the best weapons and equipment he can afford. If the NPCs do get a share of cash, is there any way to get them to chip in for their own items? Or at least give them some use for it? Dialog about saving up for a castle or something?

6. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Thanks guys. Need to have a think about this. My main concern is that without the split of loot we're further unbalancing an unbalanced game system. Meh!

7. Goreng

Goreng Member

From my experience it's also the more faire system I used with some dice rule, when two or people people need the same item they throw dice.

But this sytem requires honest people plus the result can be very uneven. It works a bit better when there's many good items to find but for solo RPG I feel it's much better when magic items are rare, then this system won't work well and I don't mention with party NPC.

8. Goreng

Goreng Member

That works only with MMORPG where solo play can bring as good item but not in MMORPG where... solo play is boring (all of them!!) and where only teaming bring the best items.

9. Old Book

The thing that bugs me is that they take their "share" and then don't do anything with it. Meanwhile, the Player is obligated to kit them out like every other character. What about a quick dialog option for each NPC?

Fruella: "I get a full share! It's mine! You might get killed, and then where would I be? I won't be dependent on you for money!"

Meleny: "I love adventuring with you, but one day we'll need a house, my love. Let me set aside a share, and one day we'll be able to build someplace wonderful together!"

Mel on the Nulb house: "Our first house together! That's wonderful, my love! But, love, Nulb is no place for...a family. We need to keep saving for someplace better."

Elmo: "I need the money for my retirement, you see. I'll need beer even after I quit adventuring."

Otis: "Every day with you is a day I'm not working at my forge. I'll need a full share to make up for my losses."

etc.

Isewein likes this.
  10. Goreng

Goreng Member

Yes that are critical features for NPC looting :
    - You can lend them stuff, they should be able to lend you stuff they don't use.
    - They should use their money to buy them some stuff.

But also :
    - With their money they should refund you for stuff you buy them like when you buy them a potion they use, pay them a resurrect, buy them a scroll so they learn the spell, buy them item you have no need for it, buy them an identify. Eventually this can be managed by a money balance with any NPC in your party and if they quit the party with some debt if they come back in the party it's with their debt. Eventually few rich NPC could allow debt to the party. :D
    - Also they should not be able to refuse to sell you their item at their identified price sell to a merchant (item identified and not the merchant price), except for some special items like familly item.
    - They should allow you sell for them items they have in their inventory, the cash go to them but the choice to sell or not should be made by the player, eventually some NPC have some variant behavior.
    - If they are allowed to loot magic items then there should be a sort of round robin after that, they don't get more magic item until every other member of the party get one.
    - Also if they are allowed to loot magic items they should not take it is they can't use it or already have better.

Lol this can be quite complex! :)

11. Goreng

Goreng Member

All of that is quite funny but we all know that adventuring can also requires a lot of expense what they answer to that damit? :D

12. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The only cash money npc's get is when they loot off the ground. They can't loot bodies, only what's left after 24hrs. With humble_npc you can do most anything. Everything sold goes into the pc pot and npc's get none. It's up to the player to decide what their npc's need and get. Npc's can't do dialouge with the merchants so they can only sell after a pc has started the talking. But, then the player decides what they sell and buy. The cost comes out of the main pc pot. There is no "sharing". The player controls and decides everything.

13. Old Book

Humble NPC is cool, and I do use it. I think Zeb is discussing ways to address the NPC share issue without Humble NPCs.

14. Old Book

Fruella: "I'm your wife! You have to look after me, and give me what I want, and do exactly as I say, or I'll chop off your worthless tonker in your sleep!"

Mel: "I know my love, but I don't need much, I can get by with just a little, and we really do need to save."

Elmo: "Sorry boss, I should have said, it's a half share plus expenses. Braaaap."

15. Goreng

Goreng Member

What?? Fired them ALLL! Dam they need learning reality of adventuring! :p

So the answers :
    - My sweet Fruella it's time for you to learn who wears the pant!
    - Perhaps Elmo but a deal is a deal you should respect our deal.
    - Mel my love sure you can get by with just a little so why save anything. Instead why not do some long funny shopping with all the money you stea.. oops... win?

Our Host!