The Temple of Elemental Adventures

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Alrik Fassbauer, Oct 6, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

Hello, everyone.

After Allyx suggestion, I registered here to find some help with TOEE.

First, I must say that I'm playing the translated German version of the game, and would like to do so.

Recently I applied the patches and GULP, but the game didn't run anymore, which disappointed me. Also, I'm quite frustrated by the fact that Atari never released any localized patches, it seems. In get the impression as if only EA seems to have a worse support.

However, I think I'll try to apply both things a second time, because I suspect i might've mixed things a bit, then.

I'm using the walkthrough of Gamebanshee, which looks quite nice to me.

Now to a real question : Right now I'm having the problem that no character in my group can properly use the Healing scroll for healing Binks or what his name is, the one in the family of the leather worker.

Can someone please tell me what preferences I need (or to be exact : a character needs), in order to be able to successfully use this scroll ?

Not very familiar with the (A)D&D system, I used pre-defined characters from the game. I didn't build my own party. Maybe I do so when I might play the game a second time.

I'm familiar with the Dark Eye RPG system (for those of you who watch RPGDot : The upcoming game "Drakensang" is based on the 4th edition of The Dark Eye), so I'm no fool. I know in general how to deal with stats, feats and attributes, but anyway every system is a bit different than the other one. I've played Baldur's gate to some extend, and Icewind Dale, too. I'm familiar with the system overall, but there are still too much details that seem to drive me nuts. For example that a character needs special talents (I always call that "talents" ;) ) to be able to properly use weapons, or certain armor.

My party consists of a fighter, a druid, an elven wizrad, an halfling rogue and a female paladin who is now a cleric, too (two classes). You can find them all in the screen of the pre-defined characters. I used neutral good, if I remember correctly, as the group's enlignment. I forgot which domain my now-cleric-ex-paladin has, sorry. Is there any way to see that ?

I'm playing the game unpatched and managed to bring the group into level 3 recently (I think it was yesterday). I have not upgraded the party yet, because i wanted to see what advices I could get in order to develop an successful party (no more dying that much anymore, lol ;) ).

Well, I think that's it for now. I'm playing a low-budged-version of the game, I might add. It's just two CD-ROMs without any printed manual. It's being sold throughout Germany via budged shelves of electronic markets.

Any hints and help towards my "real question" is greatly apporeciated.

Alrik

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

You must have patch2. It's really necessary. If you have the scrolls and potions from the bookcase in the church, the the cleric should be able to use it. If not, the yellow potion is also Heal. It should work. But, make sure you install patch2. You can download it from this site.

3. Alrik Fassbauer

I have it, thanks. I applied GULP after that, but the game won't run. Over there at the RPGDot forums Allyx suggested the use of an no-cd patch, which I did. And gladly it worked ! :)

I just hoped Atari would've handed out an localized patch, too ... :roll: So the person who made GULP has my fullest respect for this work ... ;)

4. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

Might I ask what GULP stands for? It seems that you're referring to the Co8 mod when you say GULP, but I can't say that I've heard that word/acronym before.

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I believe he meant *GULP*, or <GULP>, but forgot to set it off with little thingies. A lot of folks here have english as a second languge, which is even easier to lose meaning of in translation with a keyboard. I'm sometimes amazed that they even understand US at all, what with all our little expressions and linguistic quirks.

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

*GULP* is a German translation patch that Morpheus (I think it was him) put together way back when.

7. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

:doh: Now I get it; I'da used the smilie for having my head up the ass if there was one...

8. Alrik Fassbauer

GULP = "German Unofficial Language Pack or Project"

It's technically some kind of mod.

Background is this : Since there was never released any localized patch (at least not for Germany), the official patches result in - as I hear - half the screen texts becoming English. And I don't really want to play a mish-mash game, although I know the English language enough to understand everything.

My point is this : The game was originally released in a fully translated form (except spoken dialogues), and that's why I want to stick with it. So I'm actually glad someone made the GULP.

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yep, it was Morpheus that made the GULP, so all cridit goes to him, I'm glad you got your problems worked out Alrik, and welcome to the Co8 forum :D

10. Alrik Fassbauer

Hello, Allyx. :)

Can someone plase take a minute to comment on my question ? You can write "no, I don't have any solution for that" as well, so I don't need to wait anymore for an answer. :D ;)

11. Allyx

Bing can be healed by using the potion of heal (the yellow one) in Terjon's (the chief cleric of St Cuthbert) bookcase. The scroll should be usable by any cleric or druid as they are the only classes capable of casting the heal spell.

Make sure the quest to heal Bing has been accepted and talk to Bing's brother (Jakk Borton) before healing Bing (the quest doesn't complete properly if you heal Bing without being asked to first).

12. Alrik Fassbauer

Is this still the quest for Terjon wanting more followers ... or is there a special subquest called "healing Bing" or so ?

13. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Yes. Healing Bing convinces the leatherworker to join the church. Inform Terjon and that completes the quest.

14. Alrik Fassbauer

How do I use the potion on him ? I've always thought that chosing a potion from the "ring menu" makes the character to drink it him- or herself ?

15. Allyx

No, you choose the inventory/potions/potion of heal option in the radial menu, then you get to choose the target...

...choose Bing. ;)

Our Host!