The Reason Why ToEE Exists

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ergonpandilus, Nov 13, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

[​IMG][​IMG]

The reason can be found from this article. It's about the game that I've bought twice, first time the discs worn out(!) and then I bought the more expensive dvd player with only one reason, it came with this game on dvd (for the first time?). Coincidentally, the second and only game (with the first one) that I've ever bought twice is ToEE, because at the first time I just didn't get it and now I'm playing it actually at the first time.

I also had a serious problems starting the game, especially because I bought it at the same time with Diablo, which was a great game too though, and then I tried to play the game without knowing anything about the rules and just randonly generated character. I ended up choosing a gnome illusionist. You can just guess my shock when I started to play the game with a small bearded guy in red with a staff on his hands, basically looking like Santa Claus(!!). :aaaa: I never forgot that "shock" and the picture of the red gnome is etched on my mind like in a stone tablet. I then put the game "on hold" and started to playing Diablo until I completed it with two characters. But afterwards I've played the game more than any other game and yet it still offers something new to discover each time. Nowdays with the awesome mods too.

The reasons why I love it so much:
    * The feel of adventuring. Because the freedom and beautiful design together with amazing ambient sounds.
    * The unique characters. Doesn't need any further explanation.
    * The story. Works so well because the dream sequences and clear goal; you want to hunt down that armored figure who killed your foster father and eventually you succeed! But in the way you will see only so much.
    * Tabula Rasa beginning. You can start the game dozens of time with a different character and head a different places.
    * The ruleset. Always makes me amazed how it works so perfectly in crpg. The later version add lot of things, but also remove like armor specific protections versus damage typess. It is THE ruleset for me. How they manage to make it work so well back in those days when even now the developers are having hard times to make even a lot more simplier rules to work?!
    * The locations. All areas have a one single "main quest", unique design and great atmosphere. And even if the game was HUGE, all areas has something to do, to intereact with, to kill, to loot, to discover and to experience as well as with all the hidden secrets like Ring of Wizardry! ToEE is unfortunately good example of how it shouldn't be.
    * Classical design. I like it. It's feel familiar and believable. Come on, who would like to have a crescent-shaped shield in practice? The design goes well with fantasy books of 80s.
    * The memories... the memories. :tears:

*Searching for the disc... (well okay I know exactly where it is) and starts to install the game on for the thousandth time.*

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
Our Host!