The Great Cull

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Shiningted, Nov 13, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We're obviously going to have to cull a lot of the Co8-specific files from the IWD mod, but we don't want to get rid of the important ones, or create some sort of nigh-on-impossible to trace bug later down the track, so I thought I would start a thread to help Al decide what can go (since I am not sure myself). Hopefully Gaear will weigh in but otherwise anyone and everyone who mods their own Co8 game before using it is invited to participate, particularly if I say something outrageously wrong such as, "delete protos.tab, the one in the DATs is fine!" I mainly worry about KotB after all so I may be prone to such errata.

DATA / SCR:

I would suggest keep all the spell files, and all the files that don't start with py (co8.py, combat_standard_routines.py, scripts.py etc). Some of these can be internally pared back (eg quickstart module can probably lose the quickstart function), but by and large than can all go in for now.

Otherwise, delete all the py files (other than those made for IWD) other than 00002BlackJay, which is a default combat thing, and the Co8 shopmap ones.

DATA / DLG:

Delete all files other than the new IWD ones, and the Co8 shopmap ones.

DATA / MES:

The Subtitles folder can be deleted, other than what has been specifically added for IWD.

DATA / RULES:

Leave them all for now.

ToEE / ...MAPS:

It seems to me that the maplist.mes file in ToEE / Rules can be replaced with the original one from the patch (ToEE4?) with the new IWD maps (and Co8 shopmap) added onto that, so any map other than what we add for IWD can be drawn from the DATs. This will allow us to not include all the Co8 Hommlet / Verbobonc maps which are unnecessary, both from the /maps perspective and the art / ground view.

Anyway, more to follow, suggest anything else we can cull now please :)

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I already IDed most of the stuff that carries a load for Al in the main thread. Otherwise, while I'm all for good housekeeping, I don't know if the potential tradeoff of a few extra KB reduced (the text and py files etc. won't amount to much ultimately) vs. potential unknown instability down the line would be worth it. Maybe on general principles if this was a really rigid operation but this doesn't really have the profile of a hardass project so I think I'd let it go.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yeah sorry, laziness and/or eagerness to get this closer to completion has led me to be posting files much larger than are necessary... I'll try harder to keep it to a minimum.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I dare say that's true, but there's something horribly 'unprofessional' about hundreds of Co8-introduced files that aren't for this mod. Kind of like when you see the Arcanum leftovers in ToEE, you can't help but shake your head.

Anyway, early days yet :)

Our Host!