The do-nothing djinni

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rickenbacker, Nov 5, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker Established Member

My cleric summoned him to help fight but he just stands there during combat w/ his arms folded. Time ticks by while it's his turn then finally, it goes to the next PC.

What gives? Do I have to be within 10' of him or something?

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Rickenbacker
    I hate to say this but summoned beings can act strangely sometimes. As you surmised you do have to be within a certain range of the summoned creature before it will attack your enemies. I guess I should be more precise and say that at least one member of you party has to be somewhat close to the summoned creature before it will attack your enemies (this also holds true for Spiritual Weapons). This way your fighter(s) can be hacking away at the giants, bugbears, or whatever it is you are fighting, while your cleric and wizard summon monsters from the other side of the room. Very useful when fighting the Balor in the Fire Node.

3. Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker Established Member

Yeah, most of the time, the creatures I summon are fine. But this genie seems to only take Attacks of Opp'. (whether I'm near him or not) Nothing else. & also I can't select him. The blue circle doesn't appear underneath him.

Very annoying.

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

Charmed creatures also act unusual and do nothing at times.

It is always best to try to summon a creature (or charm one) as close to the enemy as possible, and AWAY from the edge of the screen as that sometimes causes issues as well.

5. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I find the chain devil to be the best summons, since he is like a troll and takes subduel damage. The enemies will pound on him for hours while he just lays there for hours.

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Can you tell me which enemies do that? One or two examples would be enough.

7. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I dropped one into the fight just before Iuz is summoned, the bugbears and the boss surrounded the chain devil, he may have been at -550hps before the fight was over.

Our Host!