Ted's mod is HERE

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Jul 31, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ok, get downloading! The final version is available in a single full download here:

http://files.co8.org/mods/Teds_mod_121.zip

If you are using an earlier version (the first - v1.0 - or a subsequent patched version) you can patch up to 1.2.0 with this:

http://files.co8.org/mods/Teds_patch_120.zip

If you use the patch, READ THE INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS! You have to delete certain files before installing the patch.

I have set up a mirror site through my blog. Nothing sinister (Co8 rocks!!!) just due to the huge number of broken links I have encountered recently while searching for art, sounds etc for the mod.

Full install instructions in the zip. Or, read this:
    Don't reply to this yet, I'm following it up with a 'what the hell is it' post. O and Heavy Dan, forgot you in the acknowledgements, I knew I forgot someone! Sorry!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  2. Shiningted

Ok, whats in it:

Something about Mary 1.5 A work in progress, now comes with sounds! I also wanted to add some stuff to the ladies - a spiked chain and some leather gear for Charlotte (she has sounds now too), maybe a corset for Ophelia (and a pocket full of cash), gloves and boots - but nothing else - for the others. However, their inventory things just don't seem to take. No idea why. Looking into it.

Playful NPC's This little mod takes some of the sound files that the game doesn't play correctly, or only plays in the most bizarre circumstances - that is, files the average ToEE player has never heard in the game - and reinterprets them to occur in ordinary dialogues, to spice up the game a bit. So:

The tangled relationships:

- If you are already married to Fruella, and you marry Meleny, Fruella will now express her opinion on the matter.
    - Alternately, if you are married to Meleny, and you recruit Serena and Riana (the gypsy sisters at the brothel), Meleny will likewise make it clear where she stands on this new turn of events.
    - Bertram will also chip in, if he is there.

In ordinary play, if you get bored you can now:

- Ask Elmo to do impersonations of Fruella. If she is there, she will resent it, and more than get her own back.
    - Ask Elmo his opinion on the Bertram situation, if both are in the party.
    - Best of all, you can ask Meleny what she has been up to, and she will regale you with tales she has recently read at great length, in that gorgeous voice of hers.

I will also include here my ongoing attempts to get the combat sounds for NPC’s going. At this very moment, the combat sounds that I have got to work are:

- Death rattles for almost all NPCs.
    - 'Going into combat' comments for many NPCs.

More to come! And finally:

- The children now giggle when they chat to you. This is worth hearing, because you just never know when kiddy's tales contain some grain of truth... (actually, that’s for later expansion. But the giggle is there).

Desperate Housewives This is the main mod: a look into the sleazy underbelly of Hommlet. What really goes on in those houses with locked doors?

Featuring:
    Fighting!
    Fedexing!
    Black Magic!
    Sorcery!
    Summonings!
    Sheep!
    Random encounters! (A whole one of those!)

See what happens at a Renton family reunion! Hear the awful truth of the goings on at St Cuthbert's after lights out! Learn what became of Eddie's mum after she died, why Paida was out of town, and how Sunom keeps the wandering eye of Monier in line. And just who is living in the braumeister's house?

Not as big or as good as I make it sound, but worth doing I think :)

Miscellaneous Various tiny bug fixes and other things, ummm lemmee see... a few tiny dlg typos (some in scripts) for Ophelia, Darley (both versions), Turuko (thats a work in progress), Gremag's .py script, a few others I don't remember now :) Some extra sounds here and there, including Cujo's gun and the Ray of Clumsiness spell (including an easter egg in Cujo's honour that will go in the latest version of his mod when I upload it - talk to Kent ;)) O and Ioun stones now come with an animation when you equip them. Also, I have returned the equipment icon to its original form since we are using Ioun stones from the backpack now.

Have fun!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  3. Shiningted

Forgot to mention the most important part: it comes with a stack of new gear (by Cujo and others), new spells by Darmagon, (including the new Ranger and Paladin spells as of 1.0.1) and is built on Allyx's new protos that takes advantage of the new .dll fix by Drifter for the Con problems Orion found. AND it comes with a new patched temple.dll, that is, patched with all 5 of Drifter's bug fixes. It does NOT have any optional ones (max HP, PC Counter, Humble NPCs etc) so you will have to add these seperately.

What it is compatible with? Everything but custom portraits (instructions to get around this in the Guide). But you have to have Official Patches 1 & 2 (or just 2), Co8 3.0.4 and Liv 1.5x. Beyond that, it gives the latest version of Cujo's mod and the other's currently around, so if you already have them, this is built on them and you get the best version.

IF you already have the optional .dll patches applied, you WILL have to reapply them to this new .dll (the Moebius-Drifter .dll as I call it :))

It is NOT designed to work through FrontEnd. I haven't got my head around FrontEnd (yet) and this is done as a big fat pack precisely for others who look at the 18 plus current mods available and don't know where to start. You WILL be able to use this mod with FrontEnd installed, just not necessarily through it. Thats my next task.

Ok people, start sending in the bug reports and feedback! :blowme:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2005
  4. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

May I be the first to say Woo-Hoo!

We bow before your, er, Shining Ted-ness. :)

Can't wait to try it out, with three PCs and 3 (or more) NPCs.

Thanks, Ted.

5. stormbard

stormbard Member

Thanks ShiningTed, look forward to trying this jem out. I've been bored with the clothing, so cheers Cujo for your work. I really want to try the Druid tattoos I've heard so much about. Thanks everyone else too, love your work!

6. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Nice work Superted :joy:

7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Nice work, Shiningted! I have only started but I really like it so far! :)

A quick note in case you'd like to get your module running under ToEE Frontend Pro: the current version of Pro (v3.0) doesn't support custom music in third party modules (and will give you weird errors if you try to install custom music in a module-related data file), but this limitation can be easily overridden: all your music should go into "data\sound\music" (the data folder for the default ToEE module) and everything else should go into "data.Tedsmod" folder. Since your music doesn't overwrite anything it's going to work OK for both original ToEE and your mod. I hope this helps. I'll try to add complete and automated support for custom music and movies in the next builds of ToEE Frontend (whenever I have some time to work on it). Whenever you'd like to work on a ToEE Frontend-compatible installation pack, contact me (PM or e-mail, but note that my e-mail has changed and I don't check my old one that often, so a PM is preferable) and I'll help you out with that.

P.S. I'm playing your mod with the Frontend and have no problems yet (using the installation technique described above), so I actually have a working installation pack for the frontend. :)

- Agetian

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  8. Old Book

Started a new game, one Bard, one Cleric and one Rogue. Loved the first dialog in Elmo's folk's home. Quick notes:

Put this mod on top of my current install instead of re-installing.

1) My custom portraits are now gone. If you have custom portraits, you'll need to re-install them (I think). However, the custom sounds work fine.

2) Created my cleric with Martial Weapon Prof: Great Sword. She was not given a Great Sword when we started the game (as was previously the case if you added a MWP).

9. Old Book

Minor Bug Report:

1) Frank can be asked for Sugar before Myella asks you to fetch it.

2) Hommlet quest titles not showing up in log book.

Nice music choices. :)

10. philodox

philodox Member

Well, I did a fresh install with the above packages... I see the your sounds are not included. Too bad I didnt save them, I'll have to download them again. Any chance you could put them all in one zip file?

Also is there any way to change a characters voice after youve started the game?

I also noticed that bug with the greatsword at character creation... oh well, I guess I will have to give him a Darkblade. :D

11. philodox

philodox Member

Hmm, I just went to Elmo's parents house and talked to the Dad. The game crashed. :(

12. Shiningted

Just checking these before heading off to work - will get onto those bugs in a couple hours.

Custom portraits disappear? Thats bizarre. Having so limited an option for them I never normally use them so I didn't think to check. Anyone want to give me a quick heads-up on what controls the custom portraits?

Edit: The missing gamequestlog.mes is fixed in patch 1.0.1, and there is a workaround of sorts for the custom portraits.

Philodox, who did you have in your party? Elmo or Otis? And had you talked to him before, done the Jinnerth quest etc?

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Took me an hour to download :anger: oh well off to course now, I'll have to install it later.

14. Shiningted

Bugs, bugs, bugs

Btw, thanks for everyone who jumped straight in and downloaded this... shouldn't be too many bugs, its too straightforward.

Now... PORTRAITS Yes, I changed the portraits.mes file thing in the data\ART\interface\PORTRAITS folder, I never gave it a thought that it might affect player portraits. You'll have to reinstall those. Sorry!

Philodox, haven't been able to replicate your Renton bug. Talked to him alone, then with Otis, then with Elmo (first approach to him too), worked fine for me. Maybe just bad luck? Wanna try again? :wavey:

As for the sounds, my experience of the uninstall is it only removes the original files, later patches, Co8 stuff etc remains. So while you willl have to replace the control files, its worth checking the data\sound\Speech\pcvoice folder to see if all the voice folders are still there. Hope so!

I won't be bundling this with the voice files, that'd be a 70+ Mb download. What I WILL be doing is repackaging all the miscellaneous voice files with Allyx's new Estel pack (and fiddled Undomiel pack) into one big Custom Sound pack. So you will then be able to get the voices as Custom pack, BG2 pack Male, and BG2 pack Female. Easier to download that way, just 3 zips.

Old Book, dunno what to say about the MWP thing, again not something I usually fiddle with. More info? When you say it used to work, is it a recent addition or used to work from the very start?

15. Old Book

Re: Bugs, bugs, bugs

Well, from at least as far back as the Liv 151 mod, you got a martial weapon of the type you took a proficiency or specialization in when you started the game. I think it worked that way before as well, but I've been using Liv's mod since it came out and hadn't played the game for a year or so before that. Now, you don't. It's easy enough to console something in, but still, it's a change.

I did speak with her before meeting him, but I had not been given the quest.

Surprising encounter. :)

Our Host!