Switching PC Models Around

Discussion in 'Models, Animations, and Particle Effects' started by thearioch, Jun 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

I know, with a whole three bits dedicated to hair styles and another three bits to hair colors -- almost a byte in all - -how could I have run out of ways to customize my characters?

Well, there's size (but not weight) and...well, that's it. Some of the races have different skin tones and undergarment colors. Is there any quick way (even if it is changing protos.tab for all PCs and NPCs of that race) to switch the meshes? I know how to change the base model size and default hair color/style.

Basically, I want my my 1/2 orc female to look like a (larger) human female (tan instead of green skin). Also, I wouldn't mind giving my elf a tan either. Undergarment colors are fine as iis -- I'd rather not have to change clothes to change skin color.

I tried adding a new protos.tab entry (a'la Vrock example), but couldn't get it to work (I used gvim to hex edit). CTD anytime I started a new game with hex-edited player file.

--thearioch

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Cujo tried a number of experiments, and posted his conclusions,I beleive you could change your PC's skin tone to that of a dwarf, though the characters hair may not fit properly afterwards, you'd need a hex editor to change the *.toeepc file (in the players folder) for that character and alter the entry for the 1/2 orc colour to that of the dwarf colour.

Cujo's Drow experiment thread may shed more lighton the subject, I suggest you try searching for it.

3. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

A quick easy way with protos:

-Change the race, to get the color.
    -Change the model, to get the shape.

For example, if you change the race of Otis from human to half orc, you'll get a human sized, slim, green skinned model.
    Basically, the same model (a human) with half orc colour (tho it wuld count as a Horc).
    I've done this with my install, and also enlarged the H-orc models; i really dislike the model they have. So, my Half orcs look like green big humans, and orcs use the original model.

You can change the colour skins too, but you'll be changing every creature of that type also; if you repaint the tga file (the mesh, or skin) of elves to give them a darks skin, you'll have all the elves in the game looking like drows.
    Basically, all the creatures of the same type use only one skin model.

4. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Thanks, guys. I was afraid to change race because I though it would effect things like racial abilities as well as just the skin color. I had already spent a few hours, so I thought I'd ask b/c I was certain I wasn't the first :)

BTW, I assume I don't change race by subtype (I assume that is for Rangers).

I already went ahead and just used a human this time (I wanted *some* play time :)), but I will definitely play with this on my next party. I'm on #3 for 3 weeks now, just relearning everything. :)

--thearioch

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

something I've done in the past is to make my halforc cleric, then use console commands to change its race to dwarf, when you change a piece of clothing its skin colour will change to a dwarfs colouring. the one issue is that addmeshes are set by hight so his armour was slightly floating off, so to solve that problem I made up a custom armour (using existing meshes) which when a dwarf equips it it uses the halforcs addmeshes. (to make it simple I just kept the character in the same armour the whole game and just edited the protos to up its stats as my other characters got better gear so it wasn't over powered.)

I'm not around to much these days but I think HK would understand what I'm talking about so if you need help modding your own halforc/huamn/whatever, he might be able to give you some pointers.

btw halforcs and dwarves are the only PCs with models different to the others, humans, elves, halfelves, gnomes and halflings all use the same model with a difference in display size and skin.

Our Host!