Swamp Lotus

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by FredSRichardson, Jun 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

I was wondering what any of you all think of this idea. I got the "find a cure for amii" quest, but then couldn't find the Swamp Lotus for the life of me. I searched here and learned that the flower occurs in one of the swamp areas and you basically have one chance to pick the flower when you stumble across that area.

Would it make sense to anyone else to put this flower into a few other of the swamp areas? I know they should be rare, so putting them everywhere doesn't make sense (for some reason I was expecting to find them in that area outside nulb for the fish quest).

Anyway, it's just a thought. I ended up console commanding in the Swamp Lotus when I realized that I missed the opportunity to find it.

-Fred

2. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

The Cure Amii quest is not supposed to always be completable. It was intended that way. Some games you just won't be able to find the Swamp Lotus. It is actually easier to find now, but still not guaranteed, even if you know exactly where to look.

Many people have suggested making this quest easier or a sure thing before. The general opinion of the community (or at least the modders of the community) has been to leave it as originally intended. Besides, a quest that you might not be able to complete is kind of a neat thing. It adds a random element. I did make it a little more likely that you will end up on the right map before Amii dies, but that was a side effect of another mod, not just a fix for the quest.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I for one think that not having that quest completeable every game is a good thing. My problem is later when the goods I ordered don't arive

4. FredSRichardson

Yes, I can sympathize with this point of view. There isn't a ton of content in the original game, and it should probably be left alone unless it's completely broken.

I felt compelled to try to finish this quest because I wanted to improve my "rep" in town. I'd turned the brewer guy into a pauper by making him pay his dues. Of course this made no difference. The game doesn't have much of a reputation system. Now that's a mod for another time :) (I was thinking tht a global variable could be assigned to reputation for each of Nulb/Temple/Hommlet, and this could go up and down according to certain deeds which would then cause different dialogs to become activated. Some interesting things could be done with this, but it's a big undertaking.)

5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

As the dialogues are pretty much set in stone, especially, with voice-overs already done, are being done, or are scheduled to be done, it would be better to have the kind of global flag you are referring to kick-off a small set of new events [that not been made or determined yet] instead of changing existing dialogue where most of the important NPCs in the game will already have voice-overs for their dialogue when and if the new global flag implementation comes to pass.

6. FredSRichardson

Well, I didn't mean changing existing dialog so much as refining the way in which certain branches are reached.

But I see there is a reputation system in the game. Basically, there are 24 boolean reputation flags that are set and tested using "set_reputation(#)" and "has_reputation(#)". The meaning and effect of these numbers can be gleaned by looking at gamerep.mes and gamereplog.msg. So in my case, I made a beggar out of some guy which set reputation flag 5 "Beggar Maker". This gives me a -10 reaction adjustment with residents of Hommlet (I'm guessing that's faction 9). If I donate 100 or so gold to Jaroo, I can get a +20 reaction from him (faction 10) and a -20 reaction from the church (faction 11). If I win the drinking contest, I can get a +10 with Hommlet but -10 with the church. And so it goes...

Oh dear, I guess I did visit that brothel. Short of figuring out how to become the "Knight of Furyondy and Veluna", there's not much I can do to clear my name with the nice folks of Hommlet.

But I think this is a similar problem to the Swamp Lotus. You basically have one chance and if you blow it that's it. It's kind of static in that you play through one path or another in any given game. It would (IMHO of course :D) be better if there were more opportunities for redemption and corruption. There could be minor tweaks for this, like donating a significant chunk of money to one of the beggars could take them off the beggar-maker list. Or better yet there could be a quest involved to help get one of the beggars live's back together (a bit of running around to help them find a job, etc).

But I guess doing this the "lite" way without a significant amount of added content wouldn't really do the trick (i.e. "I gave the beggar money and now everyone's happy again" is kind of lame, I might as well play with console commands).

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I added 2 new peputations to the 5.0.0 mod, one of which may just make Hommlet's residents like you again.

8. FredSRichardson

This is great! I'm looking forward to trying out 5.0.0 :)

I guess that answers my next question, which was "can you add new reputation entries's?" :)

I'm not sure about my idea of being able to clear reputation elements once they're set. I think they're meant to be part of the party's past history, so the right way would probably be to add new "redemption" quests that have their own corresponding reputation elements. But this really sounds like a significant mod with open-ended possibilities.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sounds like a worthwhile endeavor to me nevertheless, Fred. I've always found that set-in-stone aspect of reputations to be irritating as well, and it's one of the shortcomings that really limits the game's immersion.

Maybe changing it wouldn't be such a big deal either: instead of a million little things that go together to fix you up, how about one great big thing, like going off on a quest to kill one of Allyx's new dragons. Everybody'd love you after that. :mrhappy:

Just a thought anyway.

10. FredSRichardson

I'm up for that :) I actually think I should be back in dutch soon. I've released a bunch of prisoners.

It would be fun to think about a redemption mod. I'll have to try out 5.0.0 first since it sounds like a lot of interesting things are in there.

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Limited Spoilage...

To do this, you must rescue the heir aparrant to the throne of both nations. He's got a wedding to attend which will make him just that. Your one shot at this in the Temple. Don't kill him for his sword & other gear.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  12. FredSRichardson

I think I pulled it off, though I think he was labeled as a Vampire until I talked to him.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Indeed. It was an attempt on the part of his captors to have him slain by any would-be rescuers.

14. sandman628

sandman628 Member

another case, if u trigger the assassin encounter in that swamp map, the lotus WILL NEVER apear again.

Our Host!