Suggestions on other games

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Eskil, Dec 14, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Eskil

Eskil Member

Btw, is there anyone who has suggestions on other games like this/BG/Icewind Dale?

Good, old, multiparty, turnbased CRPGs which perhaps are a bit fresher and less buggy than ToEE?

I am aware of NWN2 just been released but I am saving that until I get my new computer in abou two months time..

/Eskil

2. Alrik Fassbauer

Alrik Fassbauer Established Member

If you really mean "old", then I'd say take a look of the "Realms of Arcania" series. It's still my favourite.

The fights are indeed turn based, the rest is not. And don't expect any folks out on the streets, because the engine doesn't display any. The view in the game apart from the combat is kind of an first person view in a kind of 3D.

If you really want an big RPG - and I really mean "big" ! - then you might take a look at Wizardry 8. I played it, but the fighting became too boring for me at a point.

Jagged Alliance also has turn-based combat.

(Oh, I guess this is one of the days when my grammar just sucks.)

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Fallout series and Arcanum (made by the same people) are worth looking into. BG isn't turnbased by the way - 'tis real-time with pause.

4. Alrik Fassbauer

Yes, but the underlying system of BG is - as far as I know - indeed turn-based.

Still don't understand why they used "real time" fighting instead.

5. swapoer

swapoer Member

You are right ,the underlying system of BG is turn-based,but it most like a real time fighting game.When you say the underlying system is turn-based ,but move is free then,and the position is very important in fighting,so you just have to keep moving your character.And u don'y order your character in turn.In this way ,personally ,i think it is most like a real time fighting game,although no completely.

6. Alrik Fassbauer

Drakensang is said to use a similar system. And it will be 3D.

7. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

BG could be played as psuedo turn based by setting the pause options correctly; I usually used Pause when: Enemy Sighted, Spell Cast, End of Turn.

That said, there are an incredible number of great, in depth mods for BG1&2, enough to make re-playing them vastly different than your first time through. I would very highly recommend going to the Gibberlings Three Forums and Pocket Plane group and downloading mods by the fistful. You'll be able to play the BG1. BG2, IWD combo game for a few hundred hours.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sorry, but the Infinity Engine games are most definitely not turn-based. They are phase-based (I believe they call it), with options to simulate turn-based play. Unless by "underlying system" you mean D&D itself, i.e., 'PnP D&D is a turn-based combat role-playing system.' But that's a very loose description as applies to BG and IWD, etc.

The only true modern D&D turn-based CRPGs available today are ToEE and Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, to my knowledge.

9. swapoer

swapoer Member

Yes,you are more correct.

10. Alrik Fassbauer

No, I didn't mean D&D itself, I meant the program in itself. How the actions were programmed.

Phase-based ... - like in Wizardry 8, I guess ?

Our Host!