subduing enemies

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Basil the Timid, Jul 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I'm wondering if there is any way to get a dialog with subdued opponents after combat has ended. Perhaps a standard line for those who have been disarmed and then wake up, followed by diplomacy or intimidate. Without Use Rope, a dialog option could be used to hold them in place until convenient to remove them. Maybe there could be a nominal bounty or reputation for each dude brought back alive - they could fill the followers slots.

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I have thought about this as well. When I had the random encounter with the other adventuring party I killed everyone. Then I thought it would be cool if I could get them to join me, so I raised the cleric from the dead and he began attacking me again.

Frustrated I knocked him unconcious and hoped he would come find me seeking vengence someday. This has yet to occur.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well if you guys want to write dialogues for every monster in the game to chat when they are subdued, please do. It would certainly enhance things.

The cleric decided that anyone so powerful he could kill the party, then burn 5000gp worth of diamonds just to raise him and beat the crap out of him all over again for kicks, was someone he didn't really want to mess with. He abandoned his decadent adventuring life, embraced his faith and retreated to a monastery, where he spends his time casting protection spells and refuses to leave his cell, living in abject fear you will come after him.

4. Basil the Timid

Hmmm. Would it be possible to have another button on the LOOT directory for creatures? Then we could choose to bring them back dead or alive.

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Believe me, adding a button it's a PITA.
    I've done it two times, and i've spent so many time, and was so complicated and dodgy, that now i don't remember how to.

In any case, if you manage to do something like that, you'll still need to make an alternative AI, flags, and other stuff for each creature in the case that someone wants to subdue the creature...better use "dominate monster" or the like, much more easier ;)

6. Basil the Timid

Please tell me what "a PITA" means in Oldspeak.

How about using that big red button on the lower-right side to have a pop-up dialog box. Or are those boxes also hard-wired?

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

PITA is an acronym for Pain in the Ass. In this case, it refers to an exhorbitant amount of work for an insufficient return.

IMHO, too many acronyms around Newbies and Easels can make things FUBAGO, which is half the fun. WTF? DILLIGAS? KMAMF! I'm the BHMFIC!

8. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Ted Said
    Heh. In 2E (and probably before) I used to Raise Dead people until their CON ran out just so that nobody else could raise them. Of course, it didn't cost anything. In 3.0, it only cost 500gp instead of 3.5's 5kgp, but best of all a single animate dead blocks both Raise Dead and Speak with Dead.

OFC, I am what people colloquially refer to as "a real dick."

--thearioch

9. Basil the Timid

I suppose it is just me who believes that "slaughtering in the name of goodness" is not GOOD. Would the following be a more "simple" solution?

Burne or Rufus can outfit the party with sets of manacles. When an unconscious humanoid is looted, and the manacles are put in that critter's inventory, it is considered captured (charmed and paralyzed or something).

XP could be gathered by reporting to Burne. He could send some badgers out to get them.

Of course, if it is desired to have captured / naked mooks and leaders follow the party, that could be considered a separate improvement.

Anyone think this is interesting? Any takers?

Although the above would be suited for Lawful Good +1 step, I wonder how Chaotic Good would handle captives.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  10. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Slaughtering in the name of goodness is the extreme end of Good in the DnD worlds. It's how the alignments are worked out. Paladins should be the equivalent of a religious nutjob bent on converting the world.

But you are right about alternative ways to do things and giving options and choices to players. I've actually got a script which works for subdual which I stole and modified from Liv's alternative solution to her trap.

The problem is the amount of work required to bulletproof and rationalise that script for every single NPC and monster in the game.

Long-term project there for you Basil if you fancy it - there is no wishlist, only do or do not ;)

11. Basil the Timid

Does that script award XP for subduing them, or what else?

I'm willing to learn; or should I say (Zeb) "to unlearn what you have learned".

12. Zebedee

:dance:

I'm sure there will be some way to award XP in the scripting - would take minimal time to write that to be honest. But what do you do to the NPC or monster afterwards? Make them runoff? Or let them stand to be beaten down again and again for free xp while they recover from the subdual damage?

Have a look at the fix on the CMF thread done by me which concerns Liv's trap at the temple. It's actually 98% her work with a bit of bulletproofing by me and adaptation so that it works in practice without quite such strict parameters as Liv set - one of the reasons why people could never find that solution btw. The fundamental script is very simple - stop combat, start dialogue, give options, do something after dialogue eg restart combat or NPC runs off etc. Get a test party to the map next to the temple map and test it out to see how it works in practice a few times.

Your main job if you take this on, is how you're going to implement the script. And that's going to take an eternity to sort out for the entire game ;)

If you want to start the learning process, I'll get myself back up to speed and join any thread you put up in the mod forum within a month or so to help test and implement your idea and work. Soooo much to catch up on and so much to do atm sadly.

edit - and there may well be something which can be used already in existance in KotB but as I have minimal knowledge of KotB due to my absence over the past few months, I can't even speculate what the clever boffins who are active have done ;)

13. Basil the Timid

Before I decide what I can do, how do you read a .py file?

14. Zebedee

hmm. Might be an idea for you to go find some how-to mod .dlg and .py files instructions in the mod forum Basil.

personally I use a little programme called Notepad++ because of the way it shows line numbers and tabbing. .py files are uncompiled python scripts which can be read in something like notepad or any other very basic .txt editor. Wouldn't use word though ;)

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I think you should get extra exp if you do something appropriate to your alignment:

Lawful Good - Subdue and bring to justice (Have to join party as non-playable NPC - there is no paddy wagon) - (Like a Guardian Angel arrest)
    Chaotic Good - Subdue and release if no longer a danger - (Like most GA interventions)
    Lawful Evil - Subdue and force to join or die
    Chaotic Evil - Just kill and rob
    Neutral - Kill only in self-defense

This could be slowly implemented as people pick and choose which encounters to mod. The first few would be trial-and-error, until the general idea is worked out. It would have to be optional as most people hate endless dialog trees. I would LOVE to play as LE if I could do this.

Our Host!