Stacking issues

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Jul 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I noticed that Enlarge Person's +2 size bonus to strength does not stack with Bull Strength's +4 Enhancement bonus.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Should they stack? If yes, tis bug. If not, then it's working as it should.

3. Incarnadine

Incarnadine Member

They should stack, yes. Enlarge Person's bonuses are size bonuses, not enhancement bonuses.

4. Basil the Timid

I have also noticed that the +4 Hide bonus for small dudes is called a racial bonus rather than a size bonus. This makes Reduce Person less effective, whereas Enlarge midget should remove that bonus.

Edit: I have also noticed that Enlarge does not improve the Intimidate score by +4. This may also have to do with the goofy way that Intimidate is written: the size modifier is not included in the formula; it is applied as a differential conditional upon size differences.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've had a look at Spellslinger's mod for enlarge, it still just calls the engine at that point - I don't think we can do anything about it.

6. Basil the Timid

@Ted, are ALL the bonus types hardwired, or can some be played with?

7. Shiningted

Well, they are all essentially hardwired, but sometimes we can work around that.

In this case, the Enlarge person bonus is conveyed by the line

target_item.obj.condition_add_with_args( 'sp-Enlarge', spell.id, spell.duration, 0 )

In a nutshell, that just adds the 'enlarge' condition to the target - so it tells the engine, 'enlarge it' and we can't interfere, its something in the engine.

On the other hand, it didn't used to give the reach bonus, so we added a script to do that, and to put the recipient back the way they were afterwards. So some things we can do and some things we can't.

8. Basil the Timid

Somewhere, someone said that Ray of Enfeeblements don't stack. From my understanding, all penalties stack. The SRD spell description states simply that "[t]he subject's Strength score cannot drop below 1."

9. Basil the Timid

Color Spray, from 3.5 SRD
    Each creature within the cone is affected according to its Hit Dice.
    2 HD or less: The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)
    3 or 4 HD: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.
    5 or more HD: The creature is stunned for 1 round.

I have noticed that stronger creatures are blinded, or maybe blinded and then stunned (rather than stacking). I suppose that it isn't possible to have stunned creatures drop their weapons as they should.

10. Zebedee

Might be possible to jury-rig something. But it would be darned ugly, and the weapon wouldn't be dropped - just unavailable to the critter for the duration of the stun. Adding a script to do that to every critter in the game would be a tad tedious.

11. Shiningted

Hmmm... since pretty much everything runs off sans_start_combat 00002, it may not be that bad to do initially. You could even get the weapon to turn up at the critter's feet, and if a critter is unarmed, have it then grab any weapon in range (if it tries to reequip - drops its sword so draws its dagger - but has no backup).

BUT... NPCs won't spend any movement or anything doing any of this - it'll all be instantaneous. So there won't be any genuine difference in the game play: it might look cool to see the weapon at the critters feet, but it'll be

- critter stunned, doesn't attack
    - critter not stunned any more, draws weapon instantly, attacks as normal, same as before.

Plus there would be all the exceptions: humanoids like ghouls will start fighting with daggers when they should be using their natural attacks, that sort of thing.

12. Zebedee

You'd have to script it pretty much individually Ted to make the weapon appear at the monsters' feet - imagine the fun of trying to write a script which applies to every possible place you can have a fight in without the weapon appearing somewhere crazy...

I didn't realise that the weapon changes were instantaneous though. Is there no way to introduce a delay? One of the time commands has to have a use in combat?

And I certainly didn't know that you could get an NPC to then pick up an 'appeared' item... any scripts you know of which use this already Ted?

13. Shiningted

Well, Liv's 'get a handle on everything the monster is carrying then choose the weapon as appropriate' one-size-fits-all combat script comes to mind. Otherwise just a 'find things in vicinity' script focussed on weapons: if they are within 5-10', then grab it (npc.item_get(item)) and equip it (npc.item_wield_best_all()). Dropping it at their feet is even easier:
    Code:
    	item = npc.item_worn_at(slot)
    	if item != OBJ_HANDLE_NULL:
    		game.obj_create(item.name, npc.location)
    		item.destroy()
    Do this for both the main and secondary weapon slots (and the shield if it is seperate) and there you go. Its creating a new item rather than the same one but since monsters never use crafted items, it shouldn't be a problem unless the item is mobbed with some very specific property (like a few of the KotB mobs are flagged stolen to stop you easily disposing of goods you have murdered people to obtain).

Damn, now you'e made me do it all -_-

14. Basil the Timid

I'll say this timidly from behind full cover: If dropping weapons for stunning is possible, maybe it could also be done for disarming?

15. Zebedee

The problem isn't doing the eye candy basil - it's that it has absolutely no impact on gameplay :(

Ted - is it possible to set a timer within combat? If it's already been done, could you throw me a link. If not, might set up a thread in mod. I'm sure it is possible, but from what I recall from the last time I played with it (about 18 months) ago, it didn't actually function properly - much like timers for quests etc.

edit: and while my mind is on this, have you noticed any slowdowns etc during combat due to scripts running continuously in the background with KotB Ted? Not saying I've had them, just wondering whether you've hit that problem yet in your own testing.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
Our Host!