Spike Growth CTD

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pere Ubu, Jul 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Just when I discover the glory that is Spike Growth (your opponents take damage when they move! Whee! :)) I find that if there are more than a couple enemies involved in the combat, I get a MASSIVE slowdown then a CTD at some point in the combat, specifically when one of the enemies runs through the Growth and takes damage.

Any ideas? I really hate to give up an effective area-damage spell like this.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I've certainly experienced massive slowdowns with spike growth but never a CTD. So I think it's something your end if there's a crash happening.

What are your system specs?

3. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Sorry I took awhile to reply to this - damn wireless card on this machine is touchy, and I lost connections if I breathe on it too hard.:confused:

Anyway, I'm running on my "faster" machine, a Dell "LapCooker" Inspiron 1000 with an integral SiS M650 graphic chip (32 meg graphic memory?)... driver version is 6.14.10.3730 - 224 meg system RAM, WinBlows XP.

Any suggestions?

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I run ToEE on a computer with a similar card and the same amount of memory. It could just be that you're out of memory or something. The game eats resources like no-ones business. I'm saying this because you say the crash comes after a huge slowdown.

As a suggestion, I'd dig out Krunch's thread which deals with optimising your system for the game. Things like switching off background apps, XP's shiny interface, even your desktop backgrounds etc all increase the amount of the 224 MB of memory available to the game. Stuff like defragging your HD may also help if the problem is your pagefile is fragmented or something like that.

Try those, and if you are still getting crashes then I'm not sure what to suggest other than maybe finding the error message and posting it so we can see if we can track down other issues.

Have you reached the fire temple or fire nodes yet? I'd be interested if the same thing happens there too after you get the traditional massive slowdown.

edit: looking at your laptop specs, it's got a very bad reputation for performance in any case so I think you'd need to do the above for any application/game. Or you could increase the memory to 512 MB.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

gimme a few minutes..

6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I suggest you only use Dell drivers for your Dell computer. That's a Dell thing - wonderful, eh?

Download the latest version of Dell drivers for your computer as linked below.
    -> Inspiron 1000 / Windows XP / English <--- click there

[EDIT] Look for Video Adapter on the linked page.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  7. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

If the Fire Temple is the one with the nasty run-in with fireball-throwing salamanders, yep, been through it and no problem there. (It's NO FUN being on the recieving end of fireballs when you've neglected elemental protection, BTW.)

I'm thinking it might be sound rather than graphics as the CTD tends to happen when the "RIZZZZ" noise occurs as someone takes spike damage.

8. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

BTW, thanks for the quick response, guys. It's truly appreciated.

Our Host!