Spell casting dll fix (TEST ME)

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Spellslinger, Aug 27, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Rolling, rolling, rolling... :D

Ok, this is a 2 in 1 bargain here people, so line on up! :rock:

This dll should fix:

1. The most annoying thing to a spellslinger like me: No bonus spells with enhancement items like headband of intellect etc. This is now repaired, but there's a slight disadvantage. AFAIK the items should give you spells, but not the buff spells. The fix I did gives you bonus spells for buff spells too, but: You cannot fill prepared empty spell slots in 15 mins in TOEE and you have to rest 8 hrs to prepare spells per se. And the buff spells won't hold as long.
    To all rules lawyers and experts: Have a look if the spell bonuses for the stat modifier are ok.
    To everyone: Try this out with all casters and their stats please.

2. The reported bug with sorcerors (and I believe bards too) that all spells cast count towards the sorceror spell per lvl per day limit. Though I don't usually multiclass caster classes (caster lvl is everything), now anyone who wants can do so without some additional arbitrary penalty added by troika.
    I didn't test this with all possible combinations, so feedback would be very welcome. Looking at it from the code point of view it should work everywhere... (right, as if that would mean anything... ;) ).

Link:
    http://files.co8.org/mods/dllfix7.rar

And please (kind of repetitive, eh?): testing and feedback. So far I can count the feedback still on one hand (nearly). But then, if I go with the saying "No news is good news"... Hooray for no feedback! ;)

@Blue
    Should I post the dll in the mods and fixes thread, or do you want to do that?

*edit*
    Ah, crickety. I've found another disadvantage of fix 1.: Since they never intended to give you bonus spells, there is no intrinsic update function for the memorized spells. Speak: reducing caster stats (bonus or via console) does not remove surplus spell slots. The spell per day display at the bottom is correct, but the additional spell slot will only disappear when you clear one slot of that level and leave/reenter spell selection tab. I'll see if I can do something about it, but since there is no internal function to do that it probably means lots of coding. And I don't think I have all the functions I need for that.

If I can't fix it, do you think that this state is better than the old state? I personally think so, no respectable wizard will give up his headband of intellect. And anyone who wants to do that and is honest can fix the surplus slots as mentioned above. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

O MY Gawd... :blink:

Can't believe u fixed that damn headband issue - CHAMPION!!! Time to make my sorcereressess a new cloak! :mrhappy:

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

By all means post them in 5.0.1 Cumulative Mods and Fixes thread. It seems that is the best way to get feedback, since once it makes it into the update, everybody uses it.

Oh, and I included your notes in the last one, and will continue to do so in the future.

4. Spellslinger

First post updated. Opinions wanted. :)

5. Jesse Heinig

Jesse Heinig Established Member

I tested the new .dll with a brand-new party with a cleric and with a wizard. I gave both of them +6 stat items and they had casting stats that should've given them new 1st-level spell slots. Neither one gained a bonus slot from the item.

EDIT: Replaced the wrong .dll. Updated and tested again and it worked just fine.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  6. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

@Spellslinger -- OK, here's my test report. I downloaded all of the latest cumlative 5.0.1 patches (27-AUG-2006), installed them, deleted the old .pyc files, and then extracted and installed dllfix7.rar (all installations went into the root 'C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil' directory).

I reloaded a saved game (cleared game cache).

I then had my Clr/Sor (lvl 5/5) cast all four of his 1st level cleric spells and began casting 1st level sorcerer spells (he gets 7). After 3 spells (he still had 4/7 available in first level slots) it started depleting 2nd level sorcerer spell slots. I cast three 1st level Sor spells like that (using lvl2 spell slots) and then cast all 3 of his lvl 2 Clr spells. I followed that up by casting a couple of lvl 2 Sor spells (depleting the allotment of 5 lvl2 Sor spells). So, it let me use up all of the lvl 2 spell slots like that, but if I try casting more lvl 1 spells, I get the 'Cannot Cast (Out of Available Spells)' red floating text (even though it still shows that he has 4/7 lvl 1 Sor spell slots available to cast). I am not sure if this is exactly the same behavior as before installing the changes, but I do know that I was able to cast lower level Sor spells with higher level Sor spell slots when the game decided I had used up my allotment.

Do I need to start a new game for the changes to take effect?

BTW, I tested my Rgr/Wiz yesterday and verified that she does not suffer from the multi-class spellcaster penalty (I suppose it affects only sorcerers and perhaps bards).

7. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

You shouldn't need to start new game, but you do need to put the .dll in the right place. If you are using Front End, the .dll for 5.0.0 is in <root directory>\modules\Co8-5.0.0.

So, in your case Enilno, that would be C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\modules\Co8-5.0.0. If you are using Front End, that is.

8. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

Testing Update: I actually applied the fix this time (did what CtB said) and it works like a charm -- Clr/Sor can cast all his spells. Yay! :thumbsup: Thanks Spellslinger!

9. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

I had thought that this was intentional by Troika, but I was quite irritated when I realised. Anyway, I tested this fix with sorc, wiz, bard & cleric last night and it works perfectly as far as I can see. Great job. I'll do a bit more testing with a ranger & druid tonight.

I think this is fine, maybe not ideal, but if people wanna cheat then they're gonna cheat. Did you actually check whether all the spells can be cast when the item is removed? I'll give it a go tonight. Personally I think it's better and should stay in. :dance:

10. Gawain

Gawain Member

I've been putting the 5.0.1 update in the root directory using the paths in the winrar file. I thus have a <root directory>\modules\Co8-5.0.0 for example with a temple.dll. I'm not using the Front End yet though, so which temple.dll is used - the one in the root directory or the one in \modules\Co8-5.0.0?

Thanks

(Note to self: get .Net and Front End soon for an easier life)

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Gawain: If you are NOT using ToEEFE AND you have installed the Co8 5.0.0 MOD AND you have ALSO applied the Co8 5.0.1 update to your current install of the ToEE game, read and do the following.

C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\modules\Co8-5.0.0
    C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil\modules\ToEE

modules
    |
    |_____ Co8-5.0.0
    |
    |_____ ToEE

(1) Copy ALL the files and folders under the Co8-5.0.0 folder to the ToEE folder. Select "Yes to all" when pasting files.
    * This means you can click on the Co8-5.0.0 folder and do an Edit|Select All and Edit|Copy and, then, click on the ToEE folder and do an Edit|Paste. Select "Yes to all" when pasting files.

(2) Plus, if you want to use the new Temple.DLL AFTER you copy the Co8-5.0.0 subfolders and files over the ToEE subfolders and files, copy the modules\ToEE\Temple.DLL file to overwrite the Temple.DLL file in the parent [root] folder of your ToEE game, the folder where you installed the ToEE game.

(3) Also, after overwriting the Temple.DLL you should manually run the MaxHPs and HumbleNPC and PC_Count_Patcher executables, that is if you want to have your PCs and NPCs in your game have maximum Hit Points when leveling and be able to take items from NPC inventories and have a different number of PCs:NPCs than the default of 5:3. These executables are in the parent [root] folder where you installed the ToEE game.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  12. Gawain

Gawain Member

Thanks Krunch. I understand I think - and after the copying, the modules\Co8-5.0.0 folder and contents can then be deleted, or do I still leave it in place?

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

The Co8-5.0.0 folder, its subfolders and files, can be deleted after they are copied to the ToEE folder.

14. Zero

Zero Member

im having some problems with the dll fix any time i put it in the module\co8-5.00 folder the game crashes after the intro videos. whats wrong with my game since noone else seems to have this problem? that said it runs without problems befor i use the new temple.dll
    any ideas thank you:Being_a_s

15. Spellslinger

Hmm, that's not much to work with. I've yet to experience a crash with my dlls, so I don't know what's going on. Does it crash with all versions of the dllfix? Did you install the CM with the dll included? Maybe posting the error message (especially if there are two ;) ) might help me figure something out.

Our Host!