[SOLVED] Game works with TFE-X vanilla, but not 5.8.1NC :/

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by znix, Aug 19, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. znix

znix Member

The game is installed and has patch 1, patch 2, 33kb no-cd patch, and finally CO8 5.8.1NC, in that order.

It was then launched once from TFE-X and allowed to complete until the final pop up appeared and said operation successful.

The game is then launched using TFE-X. If I pick the regular campaign, the game starts up, displays logos, load bar and fight scene cinematic, and "works", loot bug and everything.

If I select and activate the 5.8.1NC mod, again waiting for the "successful" pop up, and then launch the game, it will go through the initial logos and then the "Dungeons and Dragons" load bar comes up. It goes through to the end, the screen turns black for a second or two, at which point the program then crashes and I'm asked whether I want to submit an error report to MS. When I check the error report contents, it says the trouble is with "temple.dll"

Not sure if it's helpful, but the offset reported is: 01eb6383

The -really weird thing- is that if I launch the game through simply using the TOEE.exe, it will crash in exactly the same way - despite the fact that it ought to launch just like selecting the vanilla option in TFE-X, right?

My system is XP SP3.

I definitely have the right no-cd patch, and I followed the install directions meticulously.

Any help is very appreciated!

-------------------------------------------------
    Edit: I did some more searching and found this post which helped me solve it:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7364

transient's problem was Comodo anti virus. I'm using Comodo as well. Not the anti virus, but the firewall and Defense+ mechanisms. I tried turning off Defense+ through the slider bar in the UI. Launched game. No luck. Then I enabled the option to turn it off completely, which requires a restart. I tried launching the game anyway, without restarting my PC, and the game launched fine! :D

So, if anyone else has issues where the game crashes at the end of the load bar, try disabling Comodo Defense+ (and possibly anti virus as well).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Re: Game works with TFE-X vanilla, but not 5.8.1NC :/

I thought the correct no cd is 17kb.

3. znix

znix Member

Re: Game works with TFE-X vanilla, but not 5.8.1NC :/

Yep, the packed archive is 17 kB, while the unpacked .exe is 33 kB :)

Our Host!