So Weapon Finesse is a must on melee rogue right?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by NoxNoctum, Dec 29, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. NoxNoctum

NoxNoctum Member

It's been a while since I played D&D but in order to use my DEX modifier rather than STR I must have this feat right? And even then it will only apply to "light" weapons?

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yep, them's the rules. Rapiers, Shortswords, Light Maces, Light Hammers, Daggers and a bunch of other stuff are finesseable, Longswords, Greatswords, Bastard Swords, Great Axes, Warhammers aren't.

And even then, it only applies to your attack modifier, not the damage modifier, that's still based on strength.

3. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Don't forget the best finesseable weapon of all - the spiked chain [an exotic weapon] and all the other feats you require: in order to use it for battlefield control

Combat expertise, improved trip, combat reflexes, deft opportunist, improved initiative plus being a dwarf (getting tripped by your own trip attempt is embarrassing)

I am personally sure that the best melee rogue is a fighter in order to access all these feats at a reasonable level.

4. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

That's why I always regretted the choice to play a character with weapon finesse. You have to spend an extra feat tol hit more often but make only a pitiful damage.
    Interesting on the other hand the way Pygmy describes. But seems like a long way till that character works out to be a real killer.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

For the finesse rogue, max ranks in Acrobatics, dodge, mobility, and spring attack are excellent choices, get into flanking positions for sneak attack damage, and you won't even miss the strength bonus to damage.

6. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Or just take point blank shot and precise shot and get your sneak attack with a long composite bow or crossbow while out of melee range

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

That's what I do... with pretty much every character save one (the one holding the enemy in melee).

8. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

My choice as well. If you can combine that with a little bit of glitterdust and crippling strike the rogue all of a sudden changes from supportive character to the main damage dealer.

9. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

+1 for the ranged rogue sniper. Feats are a limited resource, and rogues are too fragile to be getting into combat too often. Paying a feat to get Dex to hit in melee is quite expensive compared to buying a +6 belt of strength. Yes, you can't buy the belt early on, but I want Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot and Rapid Shot a soon as possible for a rogue.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Some of the feats added by Temple+ makes a rogue even more advantageous, like trading -2 fear save for a +1 damage per level on sneak attacks.

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Where's that from? I thought I had all the 3.5e books...

12. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

That's why I like to make rogue/rangers, good skill compliments with a couple of nice free feats like rapid shot early

13. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Craven. The Internet suggests it's from champions of ruin, but my Pnp days were mostly with early 2nd Ed so I can't confirm.

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Hmmm... Never heard of that one...

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

That's why I said it was from Temple+, I like it but it does feel kind of Pathfinderish.

I think it's a fair trade though, negative for a positive.

Like Nightcanon said, it's in the Champions of Ruin book, (pg17), this book is a hardcover accessory to 3.5E.

Our Host!