Sleight of Hand and Rogues

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by bariumdose, May 25, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. bariumdose

bariumdose Member

My rogue is neutral good. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but when I try to do a sleight of hand and get a successful roll, nothing happens. I don't see what I pickpocketed in his inventory. I know he gets successful rolls by checking the d20 roll sidebar screen in the game. Plus, he has a ring of invisibility, cloak of elvenkind, boots of elvenkind, and is a halfling with the racial bonus.

Does Sleight of Hand actually work? Does my rogue have to be evil for this feat to work? Or, is it another bug with this game?

2. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Not a bug

Sometimes your target has nothing. You still pull it off but get nothing. I tried slight on quite a few people, but do this: By the Brothel, accept the quest to get the orb back. Go to the thief and use slight of hand on him. After a few tries you will get it.

3. bariumdose

bariumdose Member

Pickpockets and sleights of hand

Arggh! I already paid 500 gold for the orb. Dang it! I didn't know u could pickpocket it! I tried sleight of hand on him once and failed (or I think I failed because nothing showed up in my inventory). There goes 500 gold out the window! I cudda used the money.

But thanks for the tip nonetheless. I'll try it out with my evil party that I'm running concurrently with my good party.

4. Ki Rin

Ki Rin Member

kill em and get the money back.. that works right?

5. bariumdose

bariumdose Member

Pickpockets and sleights of hand

Ahhh, Ki-Rin, I like ur bluntness! I forgot that the gold would still be on Mickey. I doubt he would go spending it all in one place.

Is Mickey still necessary to the game, i.e. do I need to keep him alive?

6. Agnus

Agnus Member

I killed him and solved the orb and brothel ruckus quests in one, still got a swift justicer reputation for it =)

7. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Lol

Umm Ki, remind me not to piss you off.

8. Ki Rin

Ki Rin Member

as long as you dont have my money your safe.. you dont have my money do you? >;/

9. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

I thought you only could get money when you picked pockets. That's all I've ever gotten. If the victim had nothing to steal, I get the message "Sleight of Hand Successfull" followed by "Target has Nothing".

10. Steyr

Steyr Member

Are there many uses for Slight Of Hand in this game?

Usually I just kill the target and take their loot. If it's a target who I can't justify killing, then I probably don't want to risk getting caught picking pockets either, because if I get caught they attack and I have to kill somebody I didn't want to kill (and may end up getting all of Homlet offside).

Also, most games only have interesting stuff on people who you can get away with killing (otherwise parties without rogues cannot get the interesting loot). Does ToEE have interesting loot on people who you might not normally kill? eg. Terjeron; Jaroo; Burne & Rufus; Otis; maybe the traders; the gem dealer; etc.

11. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Umm

Nooo... No money... Yeah thats it... He has it... *Points at Agnus*

Well, if you kill things to get their items then no, there is not much use for it, but I dont like to kill unless I have to... Or unless there boring me... Either way, I get something.

12. bariumdose

bariumdose Member

Pick my pockets or is that a pick in my pocket?

Hehe - now all u guys are after my own heart! One will usually kill for money. The other doesn't unless he has to. And another might kill if the buggers bore him!

But, seriously, even if I'm successful in a sleight of hand, I don't even get the message "Target has nothing."

If there's ever another D&D module using ToEE's game engine . . .note to the developer: Put more loot on people so we can pickpocket them!

Another note to the developer: let there be light! We need torches, lanterns, even a light spell in this game. I'm going blind trying to see where my enemies are at night, in the dungeons, in the inns. . . .

Another cool thing to add: When encamping and ur party has a ranger, we should get the option of setting snares, traps, or even just a simple alarm tripwire to give the party a potential save against being caught flatfooted if an encounter occurs while encamped. As the ranger levels up, his traps get better at detecting enemies or even causing damage to them before the battle begins.

13. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

I absolutely agree. Thieves should do as well. When the party rests, it looks like that spot and listen skills are useless and I always have to rise up the game luminosity to see in dark areas. Haven't you see that humanoids doesn't have dark vision & similar? ToEE just doesn't contemplate light sources.

14. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Slight of Hand did NOT work on Orb before my mod. I changed it so that you could steal the item.

You can also beat him down with non-lethal damage.

I added many different solutions to deal with Mickey.

- Livonya

15. bariumdose

bariumdose Member

Pickpocket a tick?

Cool, Livonya. I'll have to try ur mod after I finish up my current game.

Any updates on ur 2.0 mod? I've been hearing that it's going to be a spectacular - sort of like opening nite for Revenge of the Sith.

Hey, will rangers be able to set snares, traps, and alarm tripwires when the party camps? It would be great for getting an extra save on encounters rather than be always caught flat-footed.

Our Host!