SKM import/export test

Discussion in 'Models, Animations, and Particle Effects' started by vampiricpuppy, Feb 21, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

Posting this here so i can have it readily viewable (1 image per post, hope im not breaking any rules by doing that - i just want it easy to read).

I did this test in an effort to understand what i might be doing wrong with the SKM import/export plugin that leksey made.

Essentially, for those who havent seen mine and cuchu's musings in the other thread, theres a problem where when I export from max to .SKM format, my UV maps (texture coordinates that help 'wrap' the 2d texture around 3d objects) become garbled.

So, i created an entirely new model, a torso thingy, and made a dog-ugly, but still useful UV map to test what was happening.

Heres the model:

Attached Files:

2. vampiricpuppy

Here is an illustration of how i cut up the model, both in the UV map, and in the geometry.

This was done because the SKM file format does not allow for more than one uv coordinate on a particular vertex.

Attached Files:

3. vampiricpuppy

Here is the UV map i created for the model:

Attached Files:

• uvs.jpg
      uvs.jpg
      File size:
      83.9 KB
      Views:
  4. vampiricpuppy

...and the ugly, but useful texture - it basically just shows the edges of each polygon, nothing special:

Attached Files:

5. vampiricpuppy

Here is what the UV map looks like from max - overlaid onto the texture before i export it to SKM format.

Attached Files:

6. vampiricpuppy

And a render Pre-Export from max:

Attached Files:

7. vampiricpuppy

I then export the model to SKM, then re-import the model back into max from the SKM file.

At this point the UVs become garbled - there is more intact information than before (when i was using vertices with more than one uv coordinate, which is a no-no as i said above), but there are still strange lines criss-crossing across certain areas, as well as missing uv 'edge' info.

Here is the UV map post export/re-import:

Attached Files:

8. vampiricpuppy

here is a render of the post export/re-import model:

Attached Files:

9. vampiricpuppy

In the other thread, cuchu suggested that i check to see whether the export/import was 'merging' the vertices that were in an identical space (so as to stop more than one uv coordinate per vertex).

So i checked that too, by dragging the vertexes on the 'seams' around, but everything is in order...

Anyone have any more ideas? doesnt matter how weird/strange/dumb they might sound, any input could help :D

Attached Files:

10. vampiricpuppy

also if anyone has working textures on new models that stay completely intact, could they show them? :D

11. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Hey VC sorry for the slow response. I'm not to sure what the problem is here, it has alwasy seemd to come up with a new stumper on a model by model basis. I tried re-detaching your tentacle elements, UV mapping then seperately, then re-attaching them. I wasn't sure if that was the procedure you followed and it's been working well for me lately, but it didn't help. Short of some more input from Leksey I'm really not sure what else to try.

If you want I can post the double axe I did for Maggit. It's probably the most complex model I've done for ToEE, because it hase four blades and two pommels all matpped seperately and then attached to the haft. For some odd reason it doesn't work aswell for me unless you UV map the "main portion" of it affter attaching the other objects.

Nice job on the thread BTW, very clear.

Cuchulainn.

12. vampiricpuppy

Hey Cuch :)

Yeah, if you could post the axe it might shed some light... not really sure what to expect though...

If it -is- something we have to cater for on our end that the SKM format requires, there should be some rhyme or reason that we can nut out :p

13. Cuchulainn

Yeah it would cetainly be nice. Not that I don't enjoy pulling my hair out by the handfull, but...

Here's the axe I can't seem to save it in an older format, so let me know if you have trouble opening it.

Cuchulainn.

Attached Files:

14. vampiricpuppy

yep :p cant open; perhaps the SKM would work though?

15. Cuchulainn

Here is the d/l link to the finished axe. Link

You can ignore the rest of it, just easier than posting the skm again seperately.

Good Luck.

Cuchulainn.

Our Host!