Skill Bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lord Plothos, Apr 9, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

Don't know if this is a known bug, but I just realized that my rogue is getting a +1 miscellaneous bonus to Open Lock and Survival (!) from her darkwood buckler.

I'm running co8 5.0.0

2. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Check if it's also giving you bonuses to tumble, and other dex related skills, please..

3. Lord Plothos

Well, it's giving me "bonuses" to tumble in the sense that it's a masterwork darkwood buckler, so the check penalty should be lower. It gives a too-high penalty then reduces it by adding a bonus. I assumed this was how it was supposed to work. I'm getting the right numbers there, as far as I can tell.

4. Half Knight

Hum, the masterwork characteristic adds +1 to counter the penalty of the armor/shield by one (as the book rules states that masterwork items have a lesser penalty), but, if the armor/shield already has no penalty or it's zero, that +1 it's added as a bonus, ovbiously.

That's why the corset or the tatoos give bonuses to those skills too, they have no armor penalty.(they've been made masterwork so you can enchant them)

Enjoy and abuse till it's fixed :)

5. Lord Plothos

I guess.

But disable device (an int skill) and survival (wis) should have nothing to do with armor checks at all. And it's not like the masterwork bonus is applying to everything.
    Puzzler.

6. Half Knight

Okay, i've checked both in ToEE and KotB, and they work fine, no bonus... :scratchhe

7. Lord Plothos

Weird.

My install history -

Temple from box.
    Patch 2
    Temple.dll (waaaay back before I knew about co8)
    No CD crack
    Drifter's humble NPC fix
    co8 5.0.0
    Cerulean's portrait packs thingie
    Gaear's additional movies thing

So far this is the only weird thing that's cropped up. I'm definitely getting th bonus, because the modified number is being used in the roll window when i use disable device. (Never see your survival rolls, so no way to check that).

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

You might could do with a new installation, LP (my preferred advice for the day ;)). The temple.dll and humble NPCs are redundant with the current modpack, and who knows what effect their separate installation may have.

9. Faeryll

Faeryll Elf Sorcerer

Sorry to post here but I have the exact same issue and I figured it would be better not to make a new thread.

I have this little bug in both 5.5 and 5.7.2, it occurs when a character wear an armor or shield without the proper proficiency, rogue with shield, bard with medium armor, barbarian with heavy armor, mage with light armor, ...

Armor check penalty applies in this case to Open Lock (Dexterity based, but not subject to armor check penalty) and Survival (Wisdom), and you get a +1 Masterwork bonus to these skills.

BTW I wonder why the Masterwork quality give any bonus to armor/shield at all, except the ability to magically enhance such items, when a "simple" reduction of ACP would do the same, and allow an elf sorcerer to use a bow without suffering a malus from a "masterwork" studded leather. There certainly is a very good reason to that, but anyway, it seems weird.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
Our Host!