Shapechanger

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by SharkD, May 29, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Glad the tools are still coming along. The shapechanger is a subtype - that table is purely types. So go by the shapechanger's type - it will be more relevant for the creature than just the fact it has one particular Supernatural ability.

What shapechangers are in ToEE btw? Nothing comes to my mind.

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

There are two creatures of the type mc_type_shapechanger in protos.tab:

Werewolf (14344)
    Jackalwere (14138, 14898)
    As Ted pointed out, these are not actually types in the rules of D&D 3.5, but subtypes. The Werewolf's real type is Humanoid, and the Jackalwere's real type is Magical Beast. But in TOEE for some reason, they have created an actual type called mc_type_shapeshifter. I would just use their true types for your purposes.

On a related note, there is one other non-existent type used in protos.tab. The Owlbear used in the Arena of Heroes (14579) has its type listed as mc_type_beast (which is not a type), where it should be mc_type_magical_beast like the other three owlbear protos.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Leftovers from 3/0, perhaps?

5. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Yep, you nailed it. Apparently there were 18 types in 3.0, and three were removed to trim down to the current 15 types in 3.5. These were changed:

Beast - In 3rd edition, the beast type was used for nonhistoric and fantastic, but not necessarily magical vertebrates. The beast type was merged into the animal type in 3.5 edition.

Deathless - Deathless are cadavers animated or empowered by Positive energy (whereas Undead are animated or empowered by Negative energy). Deathless as a creature type first appeared in the Book of Exalted Deeds, published by Wizards of the Coast, in 2003. It subsequently appeared in a smattering of Third Edition publications, including the Eberron Campaign Setting.

Shapechanger - Shapechanger was a type in 3rd edition. It was converted to a subtype in 3.5 edition.

From this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creature_type_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29

Our Host!