Secret doors

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pere Ubu, Aug 1, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Okay, I apologize if it sounds like I'm bitching, but in the last 2 new games I've started, I'm unable to detect new secret doors/stairways beyond the two in the Brigand room just off the Moathouse foyer - the door to the outside and the stairs down to the stairway next to Lubash's room.

I know the "common problems" thread says to "delete all saved games and start over", but this is the second time this has happened, and it wasn't a problem before.

What's changed is that I didn't use the TOEE 3 patch this time - just TOEE 2 and the Co8 5.0.0 mod.

Any suggestions?

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Did you delete the map cache files, too? [If you use ToEEFE, it is supposed to have a checkbox to clear the map cache files for you and that checkbox option can be selected.]

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

This has been a problem with the game since 2003. You're just getting bitten by it now. It sucks I know.

4. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

The map cache is indeed being cleared; it's one of the first things I'm doing when I reinstall ToEEFE.

Thing is, I know this is a long-standing problem. But it wasn't a problem before! I've made it up to Temple Level 4 before without this happening.

Is there some console command to force detection of secret doors?

5. Zebedee

Not that I know of. We're not even certain what causes the bug. (Perhaps search not being reset after a failed a check is my best guess atm).

6. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

The "Detect Secret Doors" spell isn't working, either, if that helps.

This must have something to do with the Atari 1 or 3 patches - those are the only things I left out of this particular installation.

7. Zebedee

No. It's present in the vanilla game too. No patches.

Definitely present in patch 1.

Not sure about patch 3 as I only played with that for a short time before I gave up on it :)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It sounds like you did a reinstall of ToEE, also?

my 2 cents...I suggest you uninstall the Co8 MOD and the ToEE game from Add or Remove Programs list, delete ALL of the the remaining ToEE game folders and files [including your saved games], reboot the computer--reinstall ToEE, patch it with Atari Patch 1 and Patch 2, and install whatever Co8 MOD you care to have installed and run. Reboot it, again, after that and try it from there.

[EDIT] should include uninstalling and reinstalling ToEEFE

Last edited: Aug 1, 2006
  9. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Which is what I did to get to this point, minus installing Atari patch 1.

Could that be it? Someone said patch 2 includes patch 1; I didn't install 1 this time around.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Some people must install Atari Patch1 and Patch2, both of them. It is not apparent as to why, either.

fyi - When you uninstall a Co8 MOD and ToEE and, then, delete the remaining ToEE game folders and files, it can be important to reboot the computer. Please do not leave out the step of rebooting the computer. You might also need to delete the Windows temp files, too.

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

12. Zebedee

Because patch 2 won't install on some versions without patch 1 being applied first. You'll know if patch 2 won't install because it will give you an error message about already finding a file and so it can't be bothered to replace it.

13. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yah, that is one reason, Zeb. There is also some people who do not get any error message whatsoever, but if they apply Patch1 and Patch2 to the ToEE game, the game runs and plays better. And, no one can explain why for the latter group of installs.

14. Zebedee

Perhaps its because people are willing to confuse cause and effect?

I used to believe that my game ran better with both patches 1 and 2. I don't any more after the file comparisons were done. In any case, there isn't a reason why anyone must install both other than patch 2 not installing because patch 2 just overwrites patch 1.

But I can say for certainty, I've had this bug with patch 1. I've had this bug with patch 2. I've had this bug with both patches 1 and 2 combined. I don't know about patch 3 because I've not played long enough with it.

Sometimes you get a glitchy install. Sometimes you get 10 on the trot. Best thing to do is to do a total reinstall and not put any old characters or saves into the game. Then start a new test party of elves. Console it up a couple of levels and then run it to the moathouse and check whether the door outside appears. Search for it manually if necessary. If it don't show, rinse and repeat. When I do a full reinstall I also sort out the registry and any lingering file associations etc which are left lying around. Something like ccleaner is very useful for that kind of thing.

It's a PITA bug, but it's something which is in the vanilla game which manifests itself rarely but very persistently once you've got it. Eventually it stops appearing though that has nothing to do with your patches. :vampire:

15. Pere Ubu

Pere Ubu Member

Okay - so when I get home later, I should:

1. delete all saved games & characters (waaah!)

2. uninstall ToEE and the front-end

3. windows cleanup

4. reboot

5. reinstall ToEE, patches 1 & 2 and Co8 5.0.0

6. start another game

Miss anything?

Our Host!